Menu

I love quirky family holidays!

Much of this would have bothered me in the past. But since declaring holidays "drama free" a couple of years ago (for me primarily since I'm the only one I can control), it's actually becoming fun! The Christmas venue got changed from SILs to MILs at the last minute, the time of the Christmas Eve dinner was up in the air until last night, MIL called a couple of times to ask what the kids wanted but then hem and haw that she didn't really want to give them my suggestions. . . but I just decided that I was not going to care.

Dinner was really fun and quirky and not at all "normal" American Christmas fare. But then my ILs family isn't originally from here so that's to be expected. We had another Figgy Piggy (ie. a roasted pig's head). I waited until it was chopped up and there were no eyes looking at me before I had some. The rest of dinner was a mish-mash of food I love and food I can hardly stand to look at (no blood pudding for me, please.) I was asked to bring dessert but everyone else brought dessert anyway (this would have irked me no end when we were first married). But hey, the more to choose from!

MIL got confused and got my ds a birthday present even though dd is the one with the December birthday. My SIL brought a CPR dummy and gave us a 20 min. class on CPR technique as part of the holiday entertainment. My FIL insisted on putting on a fuzzy wool hat to go downstairs. And I forgot my own strangeness - at one point I got so sleepy I fell asleep for about a half hour - right in the middle of 10 people laughing and talking around me! But this year - I think all of this was so funny and so quirky. I bet no one else had a Christmas Eve party like we did! (Of course all of this quirkiness did not involve any disrespectful or abusive behavior toward anyone so that made it possible to just laugh at.)

How was your quirky family holiday?

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Oh Jean....my family is one big quirk, so we always have a blast being quirky together on holidays :o). We are at my sister's house with my mom and dad. Get this - sis's big old sweet lab has a bleeding sore on his hiney (poor Strider) that they haven't been able to get into the vet about yet, but this morning he was chewing at it & it *really* started bleeding......so there was bil getting out the potty pads and duck tape making a diaper for the doggie so he wouldn't drip blood all over or chew on himself. Then last night when we were watching ELF with my mom and dad, it got to the part in the movie when Buddy was looking at the se*y lingerie wondering what it was, and my dad says ......"what are those....earmuffs??" O. M. Goodness....we all laughed till we cried for 3 minutes straight. He'll never live that one down. We're just a hang spoons on the nose for fun sorta family. Anything goes. Don't get giggling at the table because everybody will end up giggling.

How was your quirky family holiday?

First of all, I'd love to hear what sides were served with the Figgy Piggy.

CPR lessons as entertainment. You falling asleep. FIL insisting on the wool hat. LOL! Sounds wonderfully familiar-quirky!

We had Christmas solo this year, the four of us. Of course it was quirky, but it's our normal, so nothing stood out as unusual. :D I love the predictableness of family gatherings, though.

All went so very well on Christmas Day, I am so very thankful!

The next day was a bit tense, but really fine. I had the third (and FINAL!) conversation with MIL about how getting her hearing checked would improve her quality of life, fielded the rationalized response, and now feel like I've done my part.

One more gathering day at New Year's and then the holidays will be past. I am energized for the new year!

All went so very well on Christmas Day, I am so very thankful!

The next day was a bit tense, but really fine. I had the third (and FINAL!) conversation with MIL about how getting her hearing checked would improve her quality of life, fielded the rationalized response, and now feel like I've done my part.

One more gathering day at New Year's and then the holidays will be past. I am energized for the new year!

That sounds great, AuntieM! I hear you about the hearing aid - if they refuse to do it, there isn't much you can do. . .