Menu

I just found "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" for free online!

yesterday. DH and I tried to make a wire transfer of money to a foriegn country. The banking officer at our branch of a major american bank, did not know how to spell the country's name, Belgium. She did not know that the country was located in Europe and she did not know that the currency in use in EU was the Euro. On Monday, we are changing banks.:blink:

Anyone else have a real head shaker resently?

yesterday. DH and I tried to make a wire transfer of money to a foriegn country. The banking officer at our branch of a major american bank, did not know how to spell the country's name, Belgium. She did not know that the country was located in Europe and she did not know that the currency in use in EU was the Euro. On Monday, we are changing banks.:blink:

When we moved back to the states from Germany, our van needed to have NJ license plates (we had German plates on the van).

Anyway, the clerk at Department of Transportation said, "So, how long of a drive was it for you coming all the way from Germany?" After a few silent moments of attempting to form an answer, my husband just said, "Well, it took five weeks to float across the Atlantic on a ship." She just looked at him and replied, "Well, that was probably more money than I would spend. I drive everywhere." So we were thinking, "Good Luck in your drive to Germany."

Mary

about what you're posting about & you misspelled "recently". I thought it a cute ironic mistake. :D

BTW, doesn't everyone have the spell checker function on these posts? The one where the computer underlines the misspelled word in red? I'm thankful for it as my typing isn't good.

Jacqui

BTW, doesn't everyone have the spell checker function on these posts? The one where the computer underlines the misspelled word in red? I'm thankful for it as my typing isn't good.

Jacqui

I think my spell checker is a function of the browser I'm using. I don't think it's a function of the website.

And I mistyped "function" in that sentence, but got the red underline, thank goodness.

Our family may be enrolling our kids in school this next year, not due to our choice but because of health difficulties that my husband encountered last fall. (He's fine now, but we both think it's time I went back to school to get a master's degree and become employable!)

I visited a local K-8 private school in town (there are only two, and no private high schools) with my youngest daughter. The school was really pretty good---the teacher was a lovely individual, the classes were orderly, although I have to say that the books we use for homeschooling are definitely a step above what they were using---no doubt about that.

The shock was in finding out that our local high school "dictates" to the two private schools what curriculum they need to be using in 8th grade---at least for 8th grade algebra. I don't know if the h.s. uses these texts also, but it was called Cord Algebra A and B, and honestly, it looked like a kindergarten version of the Lial's Introductory Algebra I'm using with my middle daughter. I was shocked when I saw the books! I couldn't believe these texts were being passed off as Algebra!

If we enroll our kids in school, it's going to probably be at a K-12 private school about half an hour away from us.

I think I must be one of the dumbed down victims because I am having a very hard time digesting this information. This whole idea of traditional education vs. direct instruction is like splitting hairs to me. Well, no, I know it's not, but this is really hard on my brain.

I.must.go.on.

• 3 months later...