Menu

8th gr science text recommendation

I"ve been reading a lot of threads with suggestions for the 8th grade year. One of them is that you use a science text so that the student gets used to using a text. This is something that appeals to me because we are planning on sending our child to a private high school.

We have used SL science until this year (we switched to Noeo Chem) and have covered many topics. Since we've covered several topics and most recently Human Body and Chemistry, I"m looking for a science text that reveiws many science topics for next year.

Does anyone have a science text recommendation that would be a quick review of topics?

We used Science Explorer for that year--it's not an overview, though. We emphasized biological sciences, on the theory that DD would take high school level biology first and so that would be the best intro. I planned to do RS4K Chemistry Level II also, but didn't get to it. It's a great program as well. Both are secular and neither is young earth, although I am. It just doesn't come into either one.

Personally, if your kids are about to head off to a brick and mortar high school, I'd not use a science textbook as the "meat and bones" of 8th grade science. Sure, having one and getting used to the way they are formatted is useful, but it isn't rocket science -- it is not hard to figure out how to use one. And, depending on the teacher, the text may be used more as a reference book, but the bulk of the learning will be coming from class lectures and labs.

So. Given that, I'd recommend having fun this year. How reading science for fun? Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is a wonderfully enjoyable read about scientists, the history of science and the basics of nearly everything. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist and the director of the Natural History Museum is an engaging writer. The Pluto Files is a short, entertaining read, and Death by Black Hole is a bit meatier but meant for general audiences. Michio Kaku is a popular physics writer, and is often on Discovery or Science channel shows talking about string theory. My ds loved his Physics of the Impossible. Another good general science book is Science Matters by Robert Hazen.

To get used to lecture style presentations, you could try some Teaching Company series, such as The Joy of Science. Check your library system to see what is available.

When I finally started using text books, I went with Prentise Hall as that is what is used in our area schools. But I didn't like the on-line quizes and end of chapter questions -- I kept thinking that a good science teacher would write his own tests to reflect the focus of the class.

Finally, I'd have your 8th graders explore whatever aspect of science fascinates them. If they like animals, then look into Project Feeder Watch. If they like engineering, then do some robotics. Search on-line for experiments. There are so many project kits now for homeschoolers -- I never used them because I wasn't aware of them!

And, in case this all sounds too loosey goosey, it does never-the-less work. My boys did fine with high school science, and my youngest in particular is going into science in college. I firmly believe that what makes a succuessful science student is a a love of the subject and still having that sense of wonder, that child-like curiosity about the world. Text books kill all of that!

Wow! We used various Science Explorer titles in 6th-7th-8th. I've never seent his one before. It looks like a great suggestion. :thumbup1:

my dd17 did not use a textbook for science (or much else for that matter) in middle school...we actually used My World Science and added extra readings.

She transitioned into textbooks the next year just fine. It's not that big of a deal "to get them ready for textbooks", imho. They just do it.

She is a science lover and will be heading off to college next fall...she plans to major in Biology and go into an environmental conservation profession...

My ds13 (8th grade this year) is using Exploration Education...he loves it. It is ALL hands-on, which is right up his alley. He'll move on into textbooks for science next year just like his sister did.

Just our experience...hope it helps.

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
Personally, if your kids are about to head off to a brick and mortar high school, I'd not use a science textbook as the "meat and bones" of 8th grade science. Sure, having one and getting used to the way they are formatted is useful, but it isn't rocket science -- it is not hard to figure out how to use one. And, depending on the teacher, the text may be used more as a reference book, but the bulk of the learning will be coming from class lectures and labs.

So. Given that, I'd recommend having fun this year. How reading science for fun? Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is a wonderfully enjoyable read about scientists, the history of science and the basics of nearly everything. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist and the director of the Natural History Museum is an engaging writer. The Pluto Files is a short, entertaining read, and Death by Black Hole is a bit meatier but meant for general audiences. Michio Kaku is a popular physics writer, and is often on Discovery or Science channel shows talking about string theory. My ds loved his Physics of the Impossible. Another good general science book is Science Matters by Robert Hazen.

To get used to lecture style presentations, you could try some Teaching Company series, such as The Joy of Science. Check your library system to see what is available.

When I finally started using text books, I went with Prentise Hall as that is what is used in our area schools. But I didn't like the on-line quizes and end of chapter questions -- I kept thinking that a good science teacher would write his own tests to reflect the focus of the class.

Finally, I'd have your 8th graders explore whatever aspect of science fascinates them. If they like animals, then look into Project Feeder Watch. If they like engineering, then do some robotics. Search on-line for experiments. There are so many project kits now for homeschoolers -- I never used them because I wasn't aware of them!

And, in case this all sounds too loosey goosey, it does never-the-less work. My boys did fine with high school science, and my youngest in particular is going into science in college. I firmly believe that what makes a succuessful science student is a a love of the subject and still having that sense of wonder, that child-like curiosity about the world. Text books kill all of that!

Thank you so much for this advice. I have a PhD in science and sometimes I forget that what motivated me was a love of science from exploring nature as a kid, and not a text book.