Menu

Some iPhone questions

Yes, I searched first. :) Unless I'm using the wrong words to search, I didn't find my questions.

I took the plunge yesterday and got an iPhone 4.

1. I never buy extended warranties. Do I want to make an exception and get the extended warranty for the phone? and...

2. Every iPhone I've seen seems to have that heavy duty Otterbox. Is there a less expensive case that's just as good? Or is it worth the money?

Thanks.

Well, I've been through 3 i-phones, so I vote for the extended warranty. Definitely. Mine has a glare-proof shield on the front, to protect from scratches, and a plastic "shell" on the back/sides. It's made by Speck. (At least, that's what it says.)

FWIW, my i-phone has been much more fragile than my husband's Blackberry.:glare:

It's been worth it for me, though, because I can actually work my i-phone.;)

Yes, I searched first. :) Unless I'm using the wrong words to search, I didn't find my questions.

I took the plunge yesterday and got an iPhone 4.

1. I never buy extended warranties. Do I want to make an exception and get the extended warranty for the phone? and...

2. Every iPhone I've seen seems to have that heavy duty Otterbox. Is there a less expensive case that's just as good? Or is it worth the money?

Thanks.

I've had my iPhone for over two years, and have never had any problems with it, so I would say I'm glad I didn't pay for an extended warranty (or if I did -- I don't remember -- I'm sorry I did because I haven't needed it).

I don't have an Otterbox. I have a soft silicone shield that covers the back and sides, and a clear plastic cover over the glass. I love the silicone because it keeps the phone from sliding around on surfaces, or in my purse pocket. So, it doesn't fall off of things, and it doesn't slide out of my purse, and I honestly don't remember it falling more than once or twice. The silicone provided enough cushioning that it wasn't damaged.

I did not initially buy the extended warranty(I never do) but I DID have some problems during the initial warranty period that made me change my mind. When they sent my 2nd new phone I went ahead and bought it.

My cover is made by Griffin. It has silicone around the entire frame of the phone and clear plastic on the back. I love it because you can still see the styling of the phone through the plastic on the back but it has good grip because of the silicone on the sides.

I definitely recommend the scratch guard for the face. The "face goo" also cleans easier off the scratch guard than off the glass of the phone.

P.S. I have had Blackberries for years (and still do, for work) and took the iPhone plunge a little less than a year ago. Now I can't imagine life without it! :-)

I don't have an Otterbox. I have a soft silicone shield that covers the back and sides, and a clear plastic cover over the glass. I love the silicone because it keeps the phone from sliding around on surfaces, or in my purse pocket. So, it doesn't fall off of things, and it doesn't slide out of my purse, and I honestly don't remember it falling more than once or twice. The silicone provided enough cushioning that it wasn't damaged.

I used to have a soft silicone cover, but it kept getting caught in my hair and pulling. :001_huh: Covers are so personal!:D

My cover is made by Griffin. It has silicone around the entire frame of the phone and clear plastic on the back. I love it because you can still see the styling of the phone through the plastic on the back but it has good grip because of the silicone on the sides.

This sounds like an interesting compromise!

Thanks for the replies. I bought a pack screen protectors when I got the phone. Today I got a set of 2 silicone cases. By using an old Target prescription gift card, I only paid $5. I guess I have something like what you have Suzanne.

Now I feel at least a bit protected, and will take some time to research different cases. The Griffin one sounds like what I might be looking for. I've had their products before, and am usually satisfied with them.

We did extended warranties. The day after I got my phone I had a problem with the screen, they replaced it at the apple store no problem. We have 't had any other problems. My mom dropped her touch in the bathtub and they replaced it under the warranty.

I have a leather case from griffin. I did not like the silicone cases because they did not slide in and out of the pockets of my shorts or purse very easily, they kind of stuck. I also have an antiglare screen protector.