Menu

Fun thread: Restaurants you would like to recommend

jld

Oh man, Chocolate haupia pie is one of those things I crave/miss from Hawaii!!

There used to be (maybe still there?) this bakery place called "Jimmies" right across from Schofield.... it was next to that red bar place.... started with a "K". Anyways, they had this awesome salad that had a Lilikoi Vinaigrette, OH MAN, I can still taste it whenever I crave it. Another one of those things I haven't been able to find anywhere else :(

Haha, as a matter of fact, the thing I miss the most about Hawaii, aside from the weather, is the FOOD :)

I *always* miss food when we move!

We're cheap. My family's favorite is a fast food chain, Chipolte Mexican Grill. They use all natural ingredients and local ingredients for some things. So yummy! And you don't feel icky after eating it.

We had it for lunch. Too bad the closest one is an hour from us...or that may be a good thing, budget-wise.

Edited by joannqn

We're cheap. My family's favorite is a fast food chain, Chipolte's Mexican Grill. They use all natural ingredients and local ingredients for some things. So yummy! And you don't feel icky after eating it.

We had it for lunch. Too bad the closest one is an hour from us...or that may be a good thing, budget-wise.

That's fine, Joann. The best food is often the simplest, served in simple surroundings. Thanks for sharing!:)

I recommend the fish burrito at El Calamar in Santa Ana, and also the goat curry (and everything else) at The Rupee Room on Tustin in Orange. Also the superb fish tacos and horchata at Taco Nazo in La Habra.

Thanks for the Mexican recs! My mom works near both of those towns. I wrote down the info for her. :001_smile:

I don't know where Placentia is, but there used to be (maybe still is) a place called Mi Casa in Costa Mesa that my aunt used to take us to. Anybody know it? We used to love that place.

To be honest, I don't know that it was any better than any other place, but we only had Chi Chi's to compare it to back in the Midwest, lol.

Yes I know it, my husband used to eat there as a kid! I grew up eating at a Mexican restaurant in Placentia called La Esquina. Sadly it's not there anymore so I can't recommend it. :(

My favorites are:

Thuyen Vien, Anaheim Ca. Vegan Vietnamese, best veg Pho

Mitasie 3, Huntington Beach Ca. vegan Vietnamese

Dukem, DC Ethiopian food

Lula's Sweet Apothecary, East Village NY vegan frozen yogurt and ice cream

Vegan Treats, Bethlehem PA woman owned vegan dream bakery, (I took my girls hoping it would help them want to grow up and be vegan bakers. :001_smile:)

:lurk5:

We're cheap. My family's favorite is a fast food chain, Chipolte Mexican Grill. They use all natural ingredients and local ingredients for some things. So yummy! And you don't feel icky after eating it.

We love Chipotle too!! I ALWAYS get the Tacos :)

We also LOVE Noodles & Co. Also healthy and cheap :)

My favorites are:

Thuyen Vien, Anaheim Ca. Vegan Vietnamese, best veg Pho

Mitasie 3, Huntington Beach Ca. vegan Vietnamese

Dukem, DC Ethiopian food

Lula's Sweet Apothecary, East Village NY vegan frozen yogurt and ice cream

Vegan Treats, Bethlehem PA woman owned vegan dream bakery, (I took my girls hoping it would help them want to grow up and be vegan bakers. :001_smile:)

:lurk5:

Thanks for sharing!

This thread is making this pregnant woman Hungry! Okay, some of my favorites:

Tani Thai in South Miami, FL

Taster's Grille in Tavernier, Florida Keys

Les Chefs de France, France at Epcot, Disney World in Orlando, FL

El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse, Aruba

A Taste of Belgium, Aruba

The French Steakhouse, Aruba

Chalet Suisse, Aruba

Chez Matilde, Aruba

Papiamento Restaurant

I don't know if it still exists, but there was a Caribbean restaurant I loved called Boonoonoonoos in Aruba. Man, the food was excellent. Aruba has many very good gourmet restaurants that win awards year after year.

One of the most enjoyable meals I ever had was at the Big Sky Cafe in San Luis Obispo, CA. The food was certainly good, but I think that a good meal coming on the heels of a perfect day spent with beloved company (and accompanied by a lovely glass of wine) is a combination never forgotten.

So Big Sky Cafe will always stand out in my mind as noteworthy.

Another great "restaurant" was a lobster stand on Cape Breton's Cabot Trail--maybe around Ingonish? They had cauldrons of lobsters and mussels steaming and picnic tables at which to sit. We savor the memory.