Menu

wwyd? present from grandmother

My mom asked what to get my son, who is 11. At first she wanted to get him a Kindle, but when we found out it had no parental controls we nixed that idea. She totally agreed. Then I suggested a camera, as he loves taking pictures using mine, and using his phone, and he takes really good ones. he's played around with using a flash, not using one, adjusting the white balance I think, etc. Anyway, I thought that would be a good possible hobby, and a good gift. I ordered him a book on photography for teens, and she got him the camera. Well, she just called and instead of a regular camera she got him a Bloggie, which is like a Flip. it's more a video camera than a still camera. There are no manual settings or anything. It's really cool, and he will love it, but it doesn't give him the option to explore photography more. Of course, he won't think of that, he will just take a bunch of videos of the dogs and his baby sister. In fact, I almost think this is my mom's way to get more video's of her granddaugher :)

Anyway, she called and asked if i thought it was a good thing that she got it. At the time i didn't realize it's limitations so I said it sounded fine. Well. now I am torn. I know he will love it, but he would also love a camera, and that would be more versatile.

Should I call her and tell her to take it back? She did say he could return it, but the store is no where near here, he'd have to wait until he was down that way again which could be weeks. Edited to say that I checked and there is a Sony store near here. But, he may not want to return it once he sees it, as it is very "cool".

Katie

Your mom has done a wonderful thing - just let it go this year. Let him enjoy and fool around, and keep the camera idea in mind for another bday/Christmas down the road.

How thoughtful of her to get such a wonderful present for her grandson! And down the road, when you look at videos of the little one - you'll be doubly thankful ;)

I would let her give him the video camera. She picked it out and is happy with her choice, and your son will love it.

Maybe you can hide the photography book for now and get him the camera for his birthday? Or return something you've already bought and get him the camera yourself?

Cat

Your mom has done a wonderful thing - just let it go this year. Let him enjoy and fool around, and keep the camera idea in mind for another bday/Christmas down the road.

How thoughtful of her to get such a wonderful present for her grandson! And down the road, when you look at videos of the little one - you'll be doubly thankful ;)

:iagree::iagree:

I see why you'd rather he receive the camera, but the other posters have convinced me that you should just go with it.

I just posted to say I like your attitude about everything. You are a little disappointed, but you seem to be very kind about your mom, and so thoughtful about your son.

Sounds like both of them will be happy, and that is what it is all about.