Menu

Is there a good cut of beef that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I went to the grocery store and a small (3 or 4-rib, IIRC) standing rib roast was $50.

I must serve beef on Christmas. We are having Yorkshire pudding and beef gravy, so I need the beef to go with that. This part of the menu is in stone because I love Yorkshire pudding.

So, are there any other cuts of beef that are tender, not including bottom & top round roast and chuck roast, that I can buy for Christmas dinner?

I spend more on the Christmas beef than I do ordinarily, and I just can't see paying so much money for a small roast.

Thank you,

RC

Different parts of beef are labeled differently in different parts of the country. My mom (in CA) tells me to get a tri-tip, but then I can't find them here in TX. But yes, I have heard that a tri-tip roast is good too. That's what I plan on trying to find here because I wanted to make prime rib and it's just too high. Heck, I can get filet mignon for what prime rib costs!

This explains why it's easily found in CA and not so much elsewhere. Good luck! I'm going to just ask my butcher specifically for it.

Thank you for telling me about tri-tip, Angela. Amy, I'll take that article to the butcher and see what he can do. Thanks for the link.

You're welcome! I would be interested in hearing how you cook it and how it comes out. We're living in a hotel right now...have been hotel living for a month, have only a couple of more days left. However, my household goods won't be delivered until after the first of the year. So, it'll be a while before I can try it, but I sure do want to! lol

Tri-tip is usually grilled on the BBQ, but you could bake it. I never have, but I'm sure it is possible.

You need to coat the tri-tip and let it marinate a while. Usually it is a mixture of smearing on mustard, whatever herbs you like (garlic, pepper, etc.) and worcestershire sauce. Then some people use BBQ sauce basted on as the tri-tip is grilled. This makes a nice crust on the outside of the tri-tip. I can't picture it with Yorkshire pudding and gravy, though, because that sounds so formal. Tri-tip is a typical BBQ meal, served either sliced with BBQ sauce, or sliced on sub rolls as a sandwich, alongside salad, baked beans and garlic bread.

But since you have not had tri-tip before, you could bake it like a roast and no one will be the wiser. I'm sure it will taste good that way, too.