Menu

adult study plan

Guest danfisher

Guest danfisher

Hi

Would really appreciate some help and guidance.

I am a 24 years old and went to an awful state school. I have recently been trying to find some sort of study plan to educate myself. the classical education really appeals to me. I would really love to study math, and eventually try calculus. Learning grammar then latin or greek, or both. Then after getting a good footing at these two, i would love to tackle the arts and read some of the great books suggested by Mortimer J. Adler.

Perhaps what i really mean is a full comprehensive classical education from the start, like suggested for children, but for an adult with a mish mashed education.

Any suggestions, guidance?

Or maybe a pointer in the right direction?

Many thanks

Congratulations on your decision!

You might want to start with reading The Latin-Centered Curriculum. The 2nd edition has a section on learning as an adult.

I would also recommended The Well-Educated Mind (different than the Well-Trained Mind). The WEM can help you learn how to approach your reading material.

If you have a decent grasp on math and would like to refresh your skills a great series is Life of Fred. LOF is a series of math books told in story form, hence the Life of Fred. The books range from fractions to Linear Algebra. Many of us use them for our dc, but the would be great for an adult refresher as well.

I'm a self-educating adult too. I muddled through homeschooling my boys and learned alongside them as best I could, making sure first to meet their immediate needs and passions. Now I'm focusing on me.

My younger son had great success with starting a Great Books study by reading the KJV Bible while listening to dramatized audio tapes. He developed an ear for 17th century writing and then effortlessly dived into Shakespeare and the English translations of the classics from the 1600s.

I too have decided to start an intensive KJV study, now. I bought the Literary Study Bible for the notes, but not the ESV translation. I purchased the SOW (Student of the Word) curriculum and unfortunately lost it on the train, but was gifted another copy by a very kind member of the yahoo group.

I suggest reading part 2 of Climbing Parnassus. That book combined with the emails I shared with the author of Latin Centered Cuuriculum as he was writing his book, have really taught me a lot.

I like TWTM for the instructions on outlining in history at the logic stage, and for the art history suggestions. But in general I'm not much of a neoclassicist.

I like Saxon for Math, but first want to master more memory work and speed methods before diving back into the series. I also like the Aufmann texts for the word problems.

I love Science Matters for a spine for reading real books about science.

I'm messing around with lots of other stuff right now, but don't have time to list it all.

I'm still undecided what I want to restart my Greek studies with. I think I'm going to save up for the Open Texture curriculum.

I hope you stick around! :-) I have a friend who just today decided to join my SOW and KJV studies. I enjoy talking to other adult learners :-)

Guest danfisher

I've read Mortimer's How to read a book and I'm reading WEM at the moment, which is great. It now looks like i'll be purchasing The Latin-Centered Curriculum and climbing parnassus thanks guys.

Would you suggest starting with these books right from the off, or perhaps do some prep work for example grammar or some basic world history?(just to get an overview)

thanks for the replies

:iagree: with Hunter. It sounds like you already know what you want to learn so you don't really need more books with suggestions of subjects.

I'm using Analytical Grammar and the Well Educated Mind at the moment. (Tip: Don't read St Augustine's Confessions or The Book of Margery Kempe!)

If you want to move onto languages, start with grammar. The Well Educated Mind is a good guide for literature (providing you skip the two abovementioned :lol:,) and others have recommended Life of Fred for maths. (I can't wait to get a hold of them!) Susan Wise Bauer has one (or is it two now?) volumes out on world history. They'd give you a good overview, then you can trawl your local library for books on your favourite topics.

Is three subjects enough for now? ;)

Rosie

Yep, I would work through Rod & Staff's Grammar for grade 5. That book really lays a great grammar foundation and is inexpensive enough to write in if you want to.

I am working through (Sllloooowwwlly because I am so busy homeschooling my kids and working) Life of Fred and Teaching textbooks. (As my son finishes them, I get them.)

For history/Lit, choose a time period and dive in....

Enjoy...and have fun learning!

Faithe