Menu

SOTW4 or Beautiful Feet

Pata

What should we do for history next year?  

1. 1. What should we do for history next year?

• SOTW4 with the Activity Guide
    • BF's History of the Horse & Geography
    • Other, please leave your suggestion

I'm looking into our materials for next year as I'm hoping to purchase them before we return to our home overseas. I'm having a bit of a problem with deciding on history. I was all set to continue on with SOTW4 and use Classical House of Learning Literature for her reading selections, but now I'm wondering if I will have time for all that next year, since most likely ds will be mobile by then. So I started looking at Beautiful Feet. I'm thinking of using History of the Horse (dd loves, loves, loves horses) and Geography through Literature for next year. If you have used either of these, can you help me make a decision? Will I regret not finishing SOTW? I haven't discussed this with dd yet because I know which she will choose and I'm not sure I want to go that route. Thanks for any help you can give.

ETA: I added a poll, just for fun :)!

Edited by Pata

Guest Cindie2dds
I'm thinking of using History of the Horse (dd loves, loves, loves horses) and Geography through Literature for next year.

ETA: I added a poll, just for fun :)!

I haven't done either, but I can't wait to do HOH from BF. My DDS love horses, but they aren't old enough for it yet. ;)

I think SOTW4 is a bit heavy for someone so young, and Ariel LOVES horses, so I have already bookmarked the history of the horse to do with her in a couple of years (assuming we haven't already gone through all the books first :tongue_smilie:), and there's definitely something to be said for interest-based learning.

I think SOTW4 is a bit heavy for someone so young, and Ariel LOVES horses, so I have already bookmarked the history of the horse to do with her in a couple of years (assuming we haven't already gone through all the books first :tongue_smilie:), and there's definitely something to be said for interest-based learning.

Dd will be 9yo at the time, but I am a bit concerned about it being to heavy, but then again, I'd like to finish the series. I would like for history to be fun, yet simple next year, now I just have to decide what to do...

Silvermoon, I like your idea, that's a possibility.

My 11 yr old is doing SOTW 4 after taking a SOTW break and doing BF. So, I'm not sure how to answer your poll.:)

We did MOH vol 1, SOTW vol 2, then took a break and did BF Intermediate guides for US History and Westward Expansion. This process took us up through 5th grade. For this year, 6th, we are enjoying SOTW vol 4. I've add a bunch of readers and a geography program (although there is quite a bit of geography in vol 4). I think vol 4 is more "advanced" or "challenging" than the others. I'm not sure which adj to use. There are a lot of wars covered in the modern period.

Depending upon how ready your child is for the modern history, you might be better served to do BF. I've not used History of the Horse, but I have used the above mentioned guides, plus, History of Music, Lit Approach to Geography, and History of Science. All were fun!