Menu

Combining SL core 3 with SOTW 3

Tonia

I tried to, but didn't like some of the reading in Sonlight 3 (I actually had Sonlight3/4). It was hard for me to pull the Landmark book in, and dd didn't want to read some of the fiction--

Paula's Archives has a schedule, I think--at least, the books in Sonlight are put in WTM Year order for you.

I thought about it (using a lot of SL 3 this year) but it was just too much to coordinate it all and we would have had to take a year and a half to do it.

SOTW3 covers quite a bit. What I ended up doing was buying the audio. Then we just listen to a couple of chapters during the general time period we are covering with SL. Or whenever we can get to it. And I get out the timeline or just talk in general terms about how the times coordinate. We kind of do the same thing when studying composers. I do not do SOTW projects this year, or any written narrations. It is supplemental for now.

We combined Core 1/SOTW1 and Core 2/SOTW 2 very well. I wouldn't try to do all of a core and all of SOTW together in one year. TOO much (at least it was for us). We took about a year and a half to do each core combo, and it went much better than when I was pushing to do, read, read, do, just to get it done.

We also are combining Core 3 with SOTW 3 (and later Core 4 /SOTW 4); but we are just using the readers and read-alouds. We are skipping the Landmark book and the Story of the USA books, and using our own Bible.

I am using the Arter's guide and the American history sections from the Core Knowledge books (What your ___ Grader Needs to Know) as my "spine". The Artner's guide has overview pages with dates and poeple to focus on, and the Core Knowledge books give a basic and readable overview. I was able to get the Core Knowledge books free(ish) through Paperback Swap, and Artner's was pretty inexpensive. Most of the Core 3 and 4 readers are easily found at the library, so I am putting together my own Core 3 and Core 4 on the cheap.

We have loved the Landmark book but haven't cared much for the Story of the USA books (although they do have their place). I would not have substituted SOTW for the Landmark book - there is just so much good information in there! I could see supporting Cores 3 & 4 with SOTW recordings, maybe as for fun. Sonlight has a thorough American history program for the grammar stage that has a lot of very good information.

We also are combining Core 3 with SOTW 3 (and later Core 4 /SOTW 4); but we are just using the readers and read-alouds. We are skipping the Landmark book and the Story of the USA books, and using our own Bible.

I am using the Arter's guide and the American history sections from the Core Knowledge books (What your ___ Grader Needs to Know) as my "spine". The Artner's guide has overview pages with dates and poeple to focus on, and the Core Knowledge books give a basic and readable overview. I was able to get the Core Knowledge books free(ish) through Paperback Swap, and Artner's was pretty inexpensive. Most of the Core 3 and 4 readers are easily found at the library, so I am putting together my own Core 3 and Core 4 on the cheap.

We will be something similar to this except I will be using Truthquest and A Child's Story of America in place of the Artner's guide. We will even use the (What your _Grader Needs to Know) I got them for a dollar at Goodwill, so they are the older editions, but they'll still work!