Menu

Wondering if I should start w/ Abeka math and then move to something more elaborate

if that doesn't work. WWYD? My dd is pretty much the kind of kid who is one of those type-A learners who doesn't ever require too much explanation. I, for one, was not like that at all and had thoughts of doing a cool math program like math-u-see or something, but I'm wondering if I should bother with all the expense and stuff if she doesn't really need it. WWYD? I feel like I could probably open a boring math book with boring worksheets and she'd think it was fun...should I be "pushing" her to learn in a more hands-on way or just let her be a workbook girl?

Go with her learning style, not yours. While I believe a teacher who likes what she/he is teachng is a BETTER teacher, I think it's more important that the child is learning in a way that is conducive to their style.

If you have a bright/gifted/natural student -- in any subject -- then pick a good, solid program and stick with it. If she will learn the math just fine by using ABeka (or Bob Jones or Miquon or Rod & Staff or....), and it is (1) less money for you and (2) less work for you, then go for it!

There are sure to be other areas where you'll need to get creative and invest more time. Save your money and energy for those. ;)

We used A Beka math through A Beka 6 with our son, and then we moved to Saxon 8/7 this year. He did well with A Beka. Two areas that A Beka underperformed are:

1. By the time they do 4th or 5th grade math, A Beka has them multiplying 4 digit by 4 digit numbers, and dividing 6 digit by 4 digit numbers. I just don't see the point.

2. A Beka was very weak in geometry.

I use Abeka Math for the elementary years. I have used Horizons (very good, IMHO), MCP (good) and Singapore math too (excellent). I like Abeka. I decided to use it because it suited all of my children's learning styles, it was/is easy to use and doesn't require lots of supplementation. It fit my needs for the time.

Horizons is a another workbook math. It's thorough and easy to use.

HTH,

Christi

if that doesn't work. WWYD? My dd is pretty much the kind of kid who is one of those type-A learners who doesn't ever require too much explanation. I, for one, was not like that at all and had thoughts of doing a cool math program like math-u-see or something, but I'm wondering if I should bother with all the expense and stuff if she doesn't really need it. WWYD? I feel like I could probably open a boring math book with boring worksheets and she'd think it was fun...should I be "pushing" her to learn in a more hands-on way or just let her be a workbook girl?

Well, *I* would not recommend going with ABeka for any child. My first recommendation would be Rod and Staff's arithmetic, followed by Modern Curriculum Press or BJUP.

Not all children need "process" math (those which depend on manipulatives). Public schools began pushing that a number of years ago in an effort to improve math scores, and they decided that process math was The Answer. Turns out...it wasn't. Of course, children do respond more to process math, and many children find it helpful to have manipulatives (or visuals) for some concepts but not all of them.

If your dd is happy with traditional math, do that.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I've used Abeka K-6 with all my kids. For my accelerated son, we went through the books more quickly, picking and choosing which problems to work in each lesson. He loved workbooks too. Being able to check math off his list for the day motivated him. :-)

• 3 months later...

My DS and DD used Abeka. My ds was very motivated from 2nd thru 4th grade and did all the problems in the workbooks himself. After thathe lost his motivation because he felt it was a bit much as there was so much repetition and the problems became very onerous.

Well, I'm not an Abeka user, but I see no reason not to go with "simpler is better" as a philosophy here... Yes, there are all sorts of wonderful, hands-on math programs out there. But some kids just don't *need* that. It can even get in the way! My son is absolutely that way. For him, he just wants to do the math. He's great with juggling numbers, taking different approaches to problems, etc, but he doesn't need a lot of words or manipulatives getting in his way.

We ended up happiest with Horizons as our main program, and then supplements for more "thoughtful" math. (Singapore for the depth of their word problems, Challenge Math [Zaccaro], Math Olympiad, Number Devil, etc...) I've never really considered Abeka, so I can't comment on it particularly, but I definitely think that for some kids, simpler is better.

My friend hs 8 children, (actually 2 are in college now) and uses Abeka math exclusively in the early elem years. She said the workbooks are affordable, colorful and easy to teach. She switches her children to Saxon math after a few years of Abeka.

HTH

I'm glad to see this thread. We chose A Beka math for our first homeschool year, and I'm fairly new to the board. Haven't seen many positives about it until now, and it makes me feel better, lol.

I picked A Beka because of the repetition, and because it is very similar to the stuff he was doing in Kindergarten, worksheet-wise, so I thought it'd be a nice transition. (He also still wants to raise his hand and me 'call on him' for an answer, so....hehe, yeah. Should be a fun year.)