Menu

Math woes...singapore 1a with rs b...HELP!!

kmom

For those who have used two or more curriculums at the same time I need your thoughts!! We completed Singarpore EB B (standards) in no time. I was planning to order 1a after Christmas. But then I got my hands on a rs b manual:confused:

I love both...what do I do?

1.) I thought about just starting rsb (you could say using as spine) then incorporate sm 1a in as needed...

OR

2.) I could stick with SM 1A as my spine and find lessons/games from rs that fit that lesson...

OR

3.) I can not worry about lining them up and just do 2 lessons of each each week (the fifth day is a coop)...

IF anyone here has done this please give me your thoughts and advice!! Don't know if dh would be agreeable to try out (ie. buy) MM...at least the blue units....I really want her to have a great foundation with math....she loved the sm eb B books!! They were just ok in my opinion...hoping adding in the HIG will help with my teaching....

Any thought or advice would be welcomed!!

I use several math programs including SM and haven't ever needed to line anything up and it hasn't caused any problems. In fact, it's worked out great. RS isn't one I use so YMMV.

I didn't like EB at all and it almost prevented me from moving on to PM. PM is very different and we love it. If you ever need to do K math again, I prefer Singapore's Essential Math. It's more like PM.

I didn't care for the Right Start program, but I do use multiple math programs and the Right Start games kit.

The way you use multiple programs will depend on your personality. I've seen some people who use 2 complete programs each year and they do a set schedule of each. They do them on schedule, no matter what, and finish both. And they seem to be successful with that method.

I'm a little more distractible. :) And it works better for me to say that we will work on math for at least an hour on most days. I pick a spine that I have confidence in and figure out a pacing for it. That's the one that we do first, each day, every day. Then, we work on math facts (with flash cards, calculadders, and Right Start games.) Then we might do MEP math or a sheet from one of the other programs I keep around or play Sum Swamp or read a math literature book from the library or play with money or.....whatever. Mostly, this extra stuff isn't tied into the spine. In fact, I like it to be different so that it serves as a continuous review of old material.

Doing the spine reassures me that we are covering things in a timely matter and I can focus on making sure THAT one gets done (each day and also on a yearly basis.) Doing the rest keeps it fun and reassures me that we'll catch anything that falls through the cracks.

Do a bit of both and see if one sticks better. If you and your student love both, you can either alternate or do a month of one and then a month of the other. At this level it's easy to do several programs. As your child advances though, you may have to pick one and stick to it. They start to have a lot more problems and it's harder to finish more than one.