Menu

Math It?

CarrieF

I'm using it with ds who is 6. I got it free, so I thought I'd give it a try. He can put down the cards for addition fairly quickly (at least the doubles 3+3 etc, the 9+'s, and the 8+'s). I haven't tried transferring his knowledge to pencil and paper yet, so I'm not positive it will work yet. It's very hands on and manipulative.

Beth

It's more of a kit than a book. It has 3 games- Timzit, Dubblit, and Addit. There are 2 manuals- Math-It Guide Book which goes with all 3 levels of Math-It and How Stevie Learned his Math which just goes with Math-It. I read through the manuals several years ago but I rarely pull them out now. My kids do like the games. I laminated all my games because they are just printed on card stock.

I've had mine since I started homeschooling so it's around 8 years old. I don't know if it's been updated at all. I just checked it out at Rainbow Resource and it looks about the same but it seems a lot more expensive now. I don't think I'd pay $70 for it. I think you could get by with the student pack which is $28 and just the games.

I bought it at a used curriculum fair many moons ago when ds was the right age. I suppose it is good for drill, but we found it to be incredibly tedious. Ds was not motivated by the opportunity to beat his old time or complete the game in a minute or less.

I would think that even playing addition wars with a deck of regular cards - toss two cards down and whoever calls out the sum first wins that round - would be more fun. I've heard good things about the Right Start games as well.