Menu

So as not to hijack the ADHD thread...

The post about the diagnosis of ADHD is is all very interesting and helpful to me, as I'm smack dab in the middle of ADHD issues with one of my dc. I took him to a therapist, who from the get go said that "true" ADHD is not very common, and that there can be lots of other things at play that sort of mask themselves behind ADHD-ish looking behavior. After a couple of sessions with him, he told me that ds probably has it, as well as poor short term memory issues.

Here's the thing. When I go through the DSM checklist, when I read about the disorder, it looks to me like ds has it. He's not completely out of control, but he's definitely waaaay hyper, spacey, and impulsive. Kinda like his dad. :tongue_smilie: However, I feel like I *want* someone to definitively tell me yes or no, and I'm doubting. Not doubting the therapist's opinion, per se, since I actually agree with it, but I'm doubting how qualified he is to render that opinion.

So, should I see a psychiatrist with ds? Is it important to drag him to yet someone else just to get another opinion so I can feel settled within myself that this is what we're dealing with? Or, do I just proceed with the mindset that this is what he has, we're choosing to not medicate, and I'm working on ways to help him? I could really use some advice. :confused:

We just had my ds 8 evaluated by a neuropsych. I felt at my wits end with this kid. The thing with ADHD is that it is totally subjective. And, it really relies on the parents assessment and not anyone else, unless you are in a school and have a teacher assessment as well. If you do not want to medicate anyway, I don't think it is worth it. The neuropsych guy we went to was very conservative and did not want to make a clinical diagnosis. Seeing as we homeschool we are doing the most important thing for him - smaller classroom and more one on one attention. He said to focus on Executive Skills. I just started reading Smart, but Scattered. I'm hoping it will help me organize us better to suit ds. The neuro guy also suggested Taking Charge of ADHD by Barkley and Executive Function in Education by Meltzer. I've come to the conclusion that my ds will just always need more time, energy and patience on my part and I have to be willing to give it no matter what the behavior. Good luck to you.

Its not like a disease where you can have a blood test for antibodies. Its a set of symptoms, and it's very subjective. Even if one person said "definitely yes" another might say only "possibly, maybe."

If you are not medicating....just read about ADHD and implement some strategies. Even if he were undeniably ADHD not all strategies will work for all kids so it will be up to you to experiment and see what works.

Hi. First, I'd like to recommend the book Boys Adrift. The author is a pediatrician or pediatric psychologist (can't remember which). This was a great read for me. The author talks about ADHD many times in the book and also brain development in boys.

Second, I suggest reading everything you can on the subject. There are tons of "theories" out there - does it exist, doesn't it exist, is it a personality trait, is it imaginary, is it just too many preservatives in the food, is it bad parenting, etc. Personally (from watching my family members for 34 years-lol), I believe it is a personality trait, it is hereditary, it has a very specific place in the world and parents are able to deal with it (successfully) by unconventional means - like homeschooling.

I have also heard that these kids respond very well to Waldorf-like curricula - the one that comes to mind for me is Oak Meadow (I know there are others out there).

I have several family members with ADHD - a dad, two sisters and most likely a daughter. Just to give you an example...:glare:...one of my sisters has severe ADHD. She failed Kindergarten, almost failed 2nd grade, failed 5th grade, the school district tried to force my parents to medicate her (this was in the early 90's), my parents pulled her from ps, they put her in a small, private school and she ended up doing very well there. She graduated high school, got her BSN in Nursing and is a Lieutenant in the Army. My other sister is an attorney who has just started her own law firm.

Here are a couple of observations from my sister: TV does make it worse (lol), she has a very difficult time "starting" schoolwork or writing a paper but once she gets going, she's OK. She says that quiet rooms make her feel like she has a horrible itch. She still has ADHD - even as an adult. Like I tried to show earlier, it's not an academic death sentence. Both of my sisters graduated college from some very difficult programs. My sister (the army nurse) is applying for graduate school to get her Nurse Practicioner's License. (And this is the same kid who failed Kindergarten.)

You have lots of reading to do!!

Its not like a disease where you can have a blood test for antibodies. Its a set of symptoms, and it's very subjective. Even if one person said "definitely yes" another might say only "possibly, maybe." Even if he were undeniably ADHD not all strategies will work for all kids so it will be up to you to experiment and see what works.

:iagree: with the bolded.

Normally, if you are seeing board certified psychiatrists (vs psychologists, who are not MDs), and you have a definite "yes" (eg: kid meets most of the criteria) from one, you will get a definite yes from another. A "maybe" from one will usually get you a "maybe" from another.

The caveat I would toss in would be if you had a kid that is strongly affected by environment or diet eg: many kids exhibit "ADHD symptoms" due to diet, but aren't ADHD - they could fall into the "maybe" category one day and the "no" category the next time they are seen. I personally think this is how society has gotten the "kids who don't really have ADHD but are Dx'd with it" issue.

On a personal note, DS is the devil's spawn for an entire day if he eats simple carbs for breakfast (waffles, Captain Crunch or other sugar cereals, etc.). He can't concentrate, he flits about, he is unable to finish work, he makes stupid mistakes - I could run right down the ADHD list. It took me a large portion of his 4th grade year (in PS) to figure out what was wrong. For some reason, diet didn't really effect him (other than red dyed drinks, LOL) up until that age. DS doesn't have ADHD, he is an Aspie. Asperger's has many ADHD-ish qualities for some people. His are ameliorated by diet. I wish mine were. :glare:

Of course, as with everything, I could be completely, utterly, wrong.

a

Normally, if you are seeing board certified psychiatrists (vs psychologists, who are not MDs), and you have a definite "yes" (eg: kid meets most of the criteria) from one, you will get a definite yes from another. A "maybe" from one will usually get you a "maybe" from another.

I'm not sure why you would only recommend a psychiatrist for a diagnosis rather than a psychologist. Psychologists are very qualified to render a DSM diagnosis, particularly if the parent is not interested in medications.

As a master's level therapist with an advanced clinical license, I am considered to be qualified by state licensing standards and health insurance companies, as well as Medicaid and Medicare, to make a DSM diagnosis. I don't often make diagnoses of ADHD, but I am qualified to do so. If I have a client who needs medications, I refer them to an M.D., but other disciplines are qualified to make this diagnosis.

Generally speaking, psychologists are well-trained in the administration/evaluation of testing and can give good information/accurate diagnoses.

Some thoughts about ADHD, separate from the above. Many professionals are beginning to view it as a learning disability or on the very far end of the autistic spectrum. ADHD is often comorbid with other conditions, and it can be difficult to tease out which symptoms are due to which disorder. For instance, anxiety can appear ADHD-like in some kids. A fair number of kids with Asperger's also have ADHD. These issues overlap.

I would personally feel much more comfortable with a psychologist or therapist making an ADHD diagnosis than a pediatrician or family doctor, for instance.

Just my thoughts.

I'm not sure why you would only recommend a psychiatrist for a diagnosis rather than a psychologist. Psychologists are very qualified to render a DSM diagnosis, particularly if the parent is not interested in medications.

Just my own, personal bias. I'm certain there are many qualified psychologists out there, I just keep running into the lousy ones.

a

Some thoughts about ADHD, separate from the above. Many professionals are beginning to view it as a learning disability or on the very far end of the autistic spectrum. ADHD is often comorbid with other conditions, and it can be difficult to tease out which symptoms are due to which disorder. For instance, anxiety can appear ADHD-like in some kids. A fair number of kids with Asperger's also have ADHD. These issues overlap.

I've read this theory, too. Very interesting. You should know a lot more about this subject than we do - considering your degree is psych.

Can you recommend any good reading on dealing with ADHD?

Hi. First, I'd like to recommend the book Boys Adrift. The author is a pediatrician or pediatric psychologist (can't remember which). This was a great read for me. The author talks about ADHD many times in the book and also brain development in boys.

:iagree:I just read the chapter specifically on ADHD the other night and it changed my view on this topic completely. Highly recommended book!!

One thing that some of you may want to know. Just last month, researchers found a genetic pattern for ADHD. It wasn't one specific thing. It was more additions or deletions on one specific chromosome. In other words, all people have some additions or deletions in the normal genetic code. Having a few of them normally doesn;t matter, having a lot more of them does. They also found a similar pattern in autistic and schizophrenic people, I believe. THe autistic I certainly understand since it seems to me that adhd has some similarities with Aspergers but the difference is that medication takes care of the symptoms with ADHD and not with the autism spectrum kids.

One thing that some of you may want to know. Just last month, researchers found a genetic pattern for ADHD. It wasn't one specific thing. It was more additions or deletions on one specific chromosome. In other words, all people have some additions or deletions in the normal genetic code. Having a few of them normally doesn;t matter, having a lot more of them does. They also found a similar pattern in autistic and schizophrenic people, I believe. THe autistic I certainly understand since it seems to me that adhd has some similarities with Aspergers but the difference is that medication takes care of the symptoms with ADHD and not with the autism spectrum kids.

I posted a link to it here.

There is some computerized testing they can do as well to augment a diagnosis. My son went to a testing center at the local research university. They tested his immediate and short-term memory and attention span on various tasks with computerized modules plus IQ testing and so forth. This was after we had already been to the pediatrician to rule out other medical issues leading to similar behaviors, and to a psychiatrist for the questionnaire/assessment process. All three had the same diagnosis in our case, but it made me feel more confident to have it looked at from three slightly different angles.

I've read this theory, too. Very interesting. You should know a lot more about this subject than we do - considering your degree is psych.

Can you recommend any good reading on dealing with ADHD?

Well, I've worked for many years with kids who have ADHD, but they are usually medicated. Many of the kids I have worked with also have comorbid diagnosis, such as Asperger's or anxiety/OCD so those are the issues we are focusing on.

Sadly, no reading material comes to mind just for ADHD. Sorry! One would think I would be more helpful in this area!:tongue_smilie:In this case, I would have to defer to the parents of kids with ADHD for tried and true books to read. But I will be following along and noting those which are mentioned as resources for families.:001_smile:

(My degree is actually in clinical social work, though there are some similarities to a psych degree in that they are both mental health degrees.:001_smile:)