Menu

Using dry beans in Soup

I'm making a recipes that calls for canned beans but I decided that I'd try the dry bean route. They are soaking right now. My question is do I cook them before adding them to the soup? The soup is tomato based if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help! :001_smile: :bigear:

What are the other ingredients that are going into the soup? If there are veggies or something like that I would cook the beans first and then add them in at the end with the soup. If it's a sauce base that isnt' going to change no matter how long you cook it down, then I'd cook the beans in the same pot. HTH. :)

I'm making Pasta Fagioli. It contains a littel carrot, celery, garlic and onion. No other veggies. There will be noodles that are cooked on the side and added right before serving. I heard something once that tomato sauce will prevent the beans from getting soft. Is that true?

I can't say. The only time I make beans with a tomato sauce base is when I make chili and I always cook the bean separately so I can strain them before adding them to the pot. Since you're just using root veggies, I'd cook the beans first in another pot. They will need to cook a lot longer than your root vegetables and you dont' want to lose the flavor of the garlic and onion waiting for the beans to cook. I'd cook them fully first and then cook your soup base in another pot and add the beans maybe 20 minutes before the soup is done. But that's just me. :)

Thank you for your help. I'm cooking approx. 1 1/2 of dry beans so about how long should I simmer them? And would it be best to cook them in water or in the broth which is mostly tomatoes?

What kind of bean are you using? Some cook faster than others. Typically I have to cook beans on medium-low (number 2 on my stove) for about 4 hours, but some beans can take up to 6. It really depends.

I'd cook them in plain water. I would say simmering for 60- 90 minutes will do the trick. (Keep an eye on them, and add water to keep them covered.) Drain them before adding them to the soup, and don't cook in the soaking water.

Now you have me wanting to make soup with beans for tomorrow. Must go soak. :)

I'm using Norther and Red beans... I hope they cook approx the same amount of time........

Just simmer them on med-low (covered) for an hour or so and start testing them after that. If you pick it up and blow on it and the skin peels back and it squishes between your fingers they're done. I always just pop one in my mouth to make sure though. ;) Drain them off before you add them to your soup so it doesn't overwhelm your veggie base with a bean-y taste. :) Are you going to invite us all over now that we've helped you? ;) :D

Sure, I'd love to have you but I don't think you want to come up here. We're only expecting a high in the low teens........ I wish that I could come visit you though.....somewhere near Miami!!

LOL Sure! Anytime. I'm less than 2 miles from the beach right above the Miami border (10 minutes away). Come on down and I'll show you how to cook Cuban black beans. ;) :D hehe

Just ate my very yummy soup!!! Thank you for all your help!!!!

YaY!! :hurray: Glad it came out good. I'll bet it was very soothing to eat in this cold weather. :)

Wait. There's a party in Miami that I may have missed. Dang.

I love Miami.

Each day of winfer I wonder why I live where it's so dang cold!

lol There's always a party going on down here for something so you haven't missed anything I'm sure. ;) :D