Menu

online reading lessons

MeganW

We have used all three programs at some point. DD loved Headsprout. I recommend it without reservation, but the price really is steep. DS used Reading Eggs and liked it at first, but lost interest due to lots of repetition. The format didn't vary enough to hold his attention, and he would get very bored during lessons that covered topics he already understood well. Starfall is really great -- especially considering the cost. Both of my DC really enjoyed the printable books on the Starfall site, and may have gotten more out of those than out of playing online. I haven't used the fancier version of Starfall that costs something, only the free version -- maybe someone can chime in with some more info on that program. HTH.

We used Starfall, the free version, and my dd absolutely loved it! She loves doing it even now even though her reading took off just a little under a year ago and there is no stoppint her!

We have the school version of Time4Learning for free through our school. My dd has tried it and likes it. I haven't been consistent using it so I don't know first hand if there is enough variety to keep them engaged although I have read excellent reviews about it.

Some of them have sight words taught. Personally, I like Read, Write, Type, it has no sight words. For the others, make sure you are teaching the sight words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

Here is read, write, type, they recently added an online version, I am using it with my 5 year old successfully:

http://www.talkingfingers.com/