Menu

? for those who use SWO

robsiew

I use AAS with most of my kids, but one just started using SWO. He's first grade currently in Level A. So far he has spelled all his words correctly at the end of the week when I test him, but what do you do for words that are missed? Do you keep a log? Do you retest them the next week or just review occasionally? Do you review past words at all even if they get them right (besides the review in the curriculum)

The reason my ds6 is doing SWO is because he prefers to be independent in his work. I want to have as little involvement as possible as he works much better on his own. He has an excellent memory so for the most part I don't figure he'll have a lot of trouble with spelling, but I'd like a system for words he does miss.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I follow a plan based on what Paige (Elemental Science) wrote about in her blog:

http://elementalscience.blogspot.com/search/label/spelling

If you have StartWrite, I can send you the file I made for weekly work.

This plan works well for us -- we pretest, copy, alphabetize, do the workbook pages, and test. Then we keep a log of trouble words.

Hope this helps!

I follow a plan based on what Paige (Elemental Science) wrote about in her blog:

http://elementalscience.blogspot.com/search/label/spelling

If you have StartWrite, I can send you the file I made for weekly work.

This plan works well for us -- we pretest, copy, alphabetize, do the workbook pages, and test. Then we keep a log of trouble words.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I just got something else from Paige's site tonight too and I have now vowed to look there first before I asked anything else! What a help she is!

I don't have StartWrite, but thank you for the offer. I think if I just add in the "trouble words" sheet to our work that will help. I have him write his words all out on Monday and then he does activities on SpellingCity plus his workbook pages during the week. We test on Friday and so far he hasn't missed any. I think adding in this last sheet will give me what I think is missing! Thanks so much!

Is there a blushing smilie? Found it :blush5:, thank you guys! Glad you found the stuff useful, but I can't take complete credit. The basic ideas come from TWTM.

Sigh, I really need to get back to blogging, if only there were 26 hours in a day, I could get so much more done :D.

Edited by Pata

I keep a Trouble Words list in the spelling notebook. (I note the lesson #). . . Every so often, I add some trouble words to the weekly spelling test. I put a check mark by it on the Trouble Words list if they get it right. After getting it right a couple times, I retire it.

(I know I got this general idea from TWTM.)

My kids tend to miss (on final tests) maybe 5-8 words in the entire level, so this has worked fine for us. If they missed more, I'd be more diligent about adding trouble words to the test list every week.

FWIW, when we pre-test at the start of a lesson, I have them copy the missed words 5 times each (right on the pre-test page. . . I rewrite the missed words correctly with space below for copying). For a little kid, you can have them write the words with their finger on the carpet, or do other more fun activities. (I think I had my little just copy 3 times when she was 6.)

I also circle the pre-test-missed words on the list in the book. That way, while they are doing the lesson the rest of the week, they are especially aware of any words they missed on the pretest.

Also, be sure to check each page of SWO as the kid goes along, so you catch any misspellings early in a lesson. . . If I slack on this, then my kids (even my 13 yo!) will tend to practice her WRONG words WRONG all week. Urgh.

HTH