Menu

Made in China cast iron

I have no clue what the chances are, but I try to avoid it too... but.. hang it ll... it is soooooo hard to do! It seems *EVERYTHING* is made in China! Burns me when I see it!

Not that I mind things are made there but when 90% of the things in the store are made there it tends to get irritating!

I was kind of worried because one of my dc had a high lead level when we lived in a very old house. I have these "lead check" swabs that I got from Home Depot. You can use it to check for lead in paint, etc. Get some of those. I tested my pans, and they were clean. These swabs are pretty reliable. You get them in the paint department.

Hot Lava Mama

I was kind of worried because one of my dc had a high lead level when we lived in a very old house. I have these "lead check" swabs that I got from Home Depot. You can use it to check for lead in paint, etc. Get some of those. I tested my pans, and they were clean. These swabs are pretty reliable. You get them in the paint department.

Hot Lava Mama

That is very good info. I thank you for sharing that.

Be careful with relying on those kits. Those swabs are considered very unreliable by the EPA; they only recognizes one kit as reliable. That kit is LeadCheck, and it isn't certified for use on plaster or drywall.

I tested my house twice for lead. Once a long time ago, I tested several areas in the house (trim and wall) and got all negatives. I thought I was safe. Then last summer I tested just the trim and got a positive. We ended up getting our home tested properly by a professional tester using an XRF machine. There was lead in the walls (kits said they were negative) but none in the trim (kit said they were positive). So those kits ended up giving me both false negatives and false positives.

If you've seen any of my old posts, you'll know that we've walked away from that house, in part, because of the lead.

Be careful with relying on those kits. Those swabs are considered very unreliable by the EPA; they only recognizes one kit as reliable. That kit is LeadCheck, and it isn't certified for use on plaster or drywall.

I tested my house twice for lead. Once a long time ago, I tested several areas in the house (trim and wall) and got all negatives. I thought I was safe. Then last summer I tested just the trim and got a positive. We ended up getting our home tested properly by a professional tester using an XRF machine. There was lead in the walls (kits said they were negative) but none in the trim (kit said they were positive). So those kits ended up giving me both false negatives and false positives.

If you've seen any of my old posts, you'll know that we've walked away from that house, in part, because of the lead.

Hope the kits are not made in China!