Menu

I got some answers! (VT)

SophiaH

I posted a thread asking for spelling help on the K-8 board this weekend. The replies I got suggested that I may not need a spelling curriculum change, but rather a look into maybe other things that were going on with visual development or dyslexia. Thank you all, especially OhE!

I found a developmental optometrist on the covd.org website and called for a developmental vision eval first thing Monday morning. They were able to get me in yesterday and dd got a regular eye exam and then a vision eval. Both things pointed to a problem with dd's eye teaming. She has "alternating exotropia" meaning that her eyes dart back and forth constantly while her brain is suppressing one of her eyes. Her eyes are naturally not looking straight on but both are pointing out just a bit--nothing we've ever noticed but enough to affect her eye teaming. Her eye teaming score was below norms and her focusing was borderline. Her visual memory was also just a little low. Her writing sample was a little wobbly (but actually much better than at home), and she reversed her b's and d's before correcting them (very common for her). But the doctor was quite shocked at how well she scored on some of the other sections, especially eye tracking. She said that dd's brain was really doing a great job compensating. But because of the eye teaming issue and with the other symptoms that I had mentioned, she recommended vision therapy.

I asked about what the therapy would entail and she spent about 20 minutes taking me around the therapy room showing all the things they do. Full body stuff, balance board, peripheral vision work on the wall, red-green therapy, a little computer work...all kinds of stuff. Through her demonstrating a few of the activities to me, we found out that *I* suppress my left eye! I guess my brain completely shuts off my eye at times. So weird!! After seeing all the stuff they do, I can see better how VT can work; I didn't really understand how it could do anything before that.

She gave us some options and was very willing to work with us since we would be traveling 1.5 hrs each way. Double sessions, every other week with renting a computer program (HTS?) for the in-between weeks is a very appealing option to me. She also said we could do double sessions every week to finish earlier. Wouldn't it be better as far as retraining the brain to take a little longer to go through the therapy than to rush through it? That's a question I didn't think to ask at the time.

I was very pleased with the clinic. Very personable and relaxed; very good rapport with dd, who was quite nervous at first. I'm so glad to find a reason for all the headaches, fatigue, frustration (dd's), and problems with reading for detail. Now to pray and figure out a way to swing it--especially with a new baby due in April!

i am so, so glad you found some answers! My dd also was suppressing vision in one eye to compensate, and VT made a stunning difference in nearly all areas of her life. Hoping it all goes well for you -- a drive like that is no fun, but it sounds promising that they are willing to jiggle the schedule for you.

I know my sister has vision issues and always hated reading because of it. I love to read, but apparantly have issues too. I just learned to close one eye when I read for any length of time! I didn't even know it until recently. I really wish someone had noticed and corrected it with me at your daughters age.

Oh how exciting!!! I TOLD you you were going to be blown away!! I just knew you had something extra-funky and out of the ordinary with the weird way she was using her eyes. Supression is common, but she was doing it in an extra-interesting way!

Well I'm so glad you're pleased. This is just my two cents, but I would beat the bushes now and do the weekly sessions. No reason to spread it out. You might be able to get finished with the bulk of it before the baby comes, if you really go at it now. Besides, once you get into it and start seeing progress, you sort of ache to keep going. (ups and downs, just want to get to the END!) Nope, with a baby coming, I'd DEFINITELY do those weekly sessions now and make tracks. Let things slow down later, when life steps in and requires it. Assuming your finances are there I mean.

Well cool, you made my day. Keep us posted on how it goes! :)

Thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone!

Well, I did it! I got dd's VT set up starting next week! After discussing again the different options with the Dr. about scheduling the appointments, I went ahead and went for the full shebang. Double sessions with a 30 minute break in between every week. Her initial assessment was that dd would need about 32 sessions, so if that turns out to be the case, we'll be done the week before baby's set to arrive! :lol: Now, that would be something if it turned out that way, lol! There's even a possibility that we might be able to switch VT to Tuesdays (she currently only does VT on Wed and Fri), the same days that I'll be driving to the city for my midwife appointments (they're only about 2 miles from each other). Fingers crossed!!

Thanks again for making me get my tush in gear, OhE! lol!