Menu

Not Liking MFW 2nd Grade

EarthyMama

I've moved more this year to WTM and MFW is just not doing it for me. It is mostly American History - and we are on SOTW Vol 2. But... I really like the Bible verses, etc.

Has anyone moved from MFW to something else? Any tips?

Right now we are doing:

Sotw

FLL

WWE

Singapore Math

God's Science with another teacher every Friday

I've moved more this year to WTM and MFW is just not doing it for me. It is mostly American History - and we are on SOTW Vol 2. But... I really like the Bible verses, etc.

Has anyone moved from MFW to something else? Any tips?

I'm a little confused about what you're doing. You said you're doing MFW 2nd grade which is mostly American. Is that the Adventures program? If so then yes, it is a one-year overview of American history and geography.... but it doesn't schedule SOTW at all. SOTW isn't used in MFW until what *they* call year 3 of the history cycle -- Rome to Reformation (w/SOTW 2).

Are you doing SOTW separately from the rest of the program? Is Adventures what you've got there from MFW?

Are you doing Adventures? Adventures is supposed to be a one year American history program for 2nd-3rd graders. So if you weren't wanting American history, then I could see why it wouldn't work for you, lol. :) If you're doing Adventures along with SOTW, then you're basically doing two different history programs.

Are you doing Adventures? Adventures is supposed to be a one year American history program for 2nd-3rd graders. So if you weren't wanting American history, then I could see why it wouldn't work for you, lol. :) If you're doing Adventures along with SOTW, then you're basically doing two different history programs.

That's what I said. :lol: Hopefully the OP will come back and explain. I'm wondering if she bought what she thought was MFW "year 2" (because it says 2nd grade) assuming it lines up with SOTW "year 2"? MFW has a completely different scope & sequence than SOTW.

:iagree:

I look forward to the OP explaining it a bit more but I'm confused?

MFW uses SOTW in RTR, EX1850 and 1850MOD.

What does the OP mean by MFW 2nd grade? Some 2nd graders will be not the oldest in the family and will be in a different program from ADV.

Adventures is for a student who is oldest in the family in grade 2 or 3 for when that student is finishing the 1st cycle of chronological history. It is intentionally US focused during that cycle to be a young intro to modern history for those who live in the US.

cycle 1 of MFW:

K (knowing God and what he created)

1st (creation to time of Christ)

ADV: from about 1000 AD to modern US (only oldest does that as a full program. younger kiddos fold in at 2nd grade and get the history info in EX1850/1850MOD. it all works)

cycle 2 of MFW begins with ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850MOD

cycle 3: rhetoric stage with high school program.

-crystal

• 1 month later...

I look forward to the OP explaining it a bit more but I'm confused?

MFW uses SOTW in RTR, EX1850 and 1850MOD.

I did not know that MFW used SOTW at all. My son is in 2nd grade. We are on the second book of MFW. I thought when I decided to continue with MFW (because we liked it last year) that I would just be able to skip the history part - but as we got into it I realized that if I'm not doing the history in MFW then I wasted my money on MFW, period. It's mostly history. I don't want to do MFW history, it's horribly boring.

My son is the oldest in the family.

So are you saying I got the wrong program? Sorry, and thanks, this is only my second year HS'ing and I'm still struggling.

I did not know that MFW used SOTW at all. My son is in 2nd grade. We are on the second book of MFW. I thought when I decided to continue with MFW (because we liked it last year) that I would just be able to skip the history part - but as we got into it I realized that if I'm not doing the history in MFW then I wasted my money on MFW, period. It's mostly history. I don't want to do MFW history, it's horribly boring.

So are you saying I got the wrong program? Sorry, and thanks, this is only my second year HS'ing and I'm still struggling.

I'm still confused on *which* MFW program you're using. You said you're on the "second book" of MFW. MFW isn't just a book. It's a unit study using multiple resources. In SOME years, SOTW is *one* of those resources, but not all.

So are you currently using the program they call "Adventures in My Father's World"? The one-year American history survey with the names of Jesus for Bible study?

How old is your son?

Have you called the MFW office to ask for help? It sounds like you're struggling with something that maybe we aren't able to help with without more understanding of what you're actually doing. I encourage you to call the MFW office and talk to them. Their phone # is 573-426-4600.

I think that is important for the OP to remember the core of MFW is it's history program.

That is kind of the central pivot of it, why each year is not a "book level" or a "grade level" but a history time period. K and 1st are totally different than the next levels, so you almost can not judge the rest of MFW by K and 1st.

If you don't want to follow the MFW history, then you kind of miss the point of MFW and yeah, probably wasted your money on the wrong curriculum.

Don't feel bad, it is a classic mistake for new homeschoolers. Most make curriculum mistakes the first few years.

But it sounds like you need to research MFW a bit more, then you would know that SOTW is used in later years, OR jump ship altogether.

It is hard to "like" a program if you haven't really researched it to understand the thinking and philosophy behind it. I am not coming down on you, just putting it out there that perhaps MFW isn't working for you because you came into it with expectations that were not fully knowledgable on the curriculum.

Second book? :confused: You know, I'm wondering if you are using MOH instead of MFW? MFW 2nd grade adventures is only American History, no world history like SOTW and MOH's second book. I hope you find what you are looking for.