Menu

Appalachian people

Those of you who live in the TN/NC Appalachians especially.

I am registering my son for a tennis tournament in Louisville right after Christmas. I won't know if he gets in until too late (probably) to get decent tickets - like a week before. It could even be days before.

So I am planning to drive. I would drive him myself - just the two of us.

Do you think I should be particularly worried about weather? Several people have cautioned me. It seems like it never snows when we want it to, lol, but it never even crossed my mind to be worried about that.

How worried would you be?

Dana

It could definitely be a problem. You never know when or how bad it is going to snow around here (WNC). Do you have a 4WD vehicle that you could drive? If you are staying on the interstate it shouldn't be too bad because they clear it before any side roads.

We have two cars with well over 100K on each, and I have recently discovered that I can rent a car very cheaply with unlimited mileage. But I suppose it's not so cheap if you want to rent a 4wd, and that's not a bad idea. Dana

It could definitely be a problem. You never know when or how bad it is going to snow around here (WNC). Do you have a 4WD vehicle that you could drive? If you are staying on the interstate it shouldn't be too bad because they clear it before any side roads.

I'm not from that area, but we've driven through there a number of times in early January. We've had everything from 60s to snow. Check the weather and maybe plan for an extra day just in case. I know one time, we had to stop early because it snowed in TN and I was told to stop because we wouldn't be able to get a hotel if we tried to make it further.

One other time we had to stop because of really bad fog.

Good luck to your ds!!

We've driven through there in December or January several times. Once there was ice and it was very scary. The other times were a range of weather but nothing concerning. Anytime you're traveling through places that get snow/ice in the winter there is a potential for problems but you're just as likely to be fine in my experience.

Edited by sbgrace

Are you going to be on interstate the entire way?

I hate to say this, but I40 has occasionally had to be closed in January due to heavy snow/ice storms. It's not like it's a yearly thing, however. Once, when I was in school in Knoxville, it took us about 8 hours to get back to school on the interstate due to a snowstorm (normally less than a 2 hour total drive, with only about half of it on the interstate).

I64, on the other hand, I don't ever recall being closed since we've been here (about 13 years). I75 has been shut down a couple of times. So I guess it depends on what road you'll be traveling when coming into Louisville....

How worried would you be?

In southern VA here. We have a couple of expensive, prepaid things coming up this winter that are several hours away by car. I don't worry about it. There's nothing I can do, so it won't make any difference if I worry or not.

I do, however, think it would be more likely to have worse weather later in the winter than when you are planning to drive. (Not that that means anything!)