Menu

The "best" route to MCT

DDR

I've been reading some threads and checking MCT's website and, as of now, we'll be using MCT when the kiddos are old enough. So, if MCT is the goal, what is a logical way to get there? Right now my son is doing FLL and I'm pulling together copywork from our read-along books, the bible, or history lessons.

Thanks!

We're really enjoying Town level MCT with my 10 yo. For my younger dd, I think that the FLL 1/2 and WWE 1/2 that she will have completed by the end of this year will be good preparation for Island level MCT next year in 3rd. She already sits in on a lot of the stuff her sister and I do--I'm sure she could handle Island now. But I don't really want to push it too early, as I don't want to hit Town level before 4th grade.

I've been reading some threads and checking MCT's website and, as of now, we'll be using MCT when the kiddos are old enough. So, if MCT is the goal, what is a logical way to get there? Right now my son is doing FLL and I'm pulling together copywork from our read-along books, the bible, or history lessons.

Thanks!

I don't think there is a single "best" preparation for all kids. Teach the kids so that reading, speaking, and penmanship are fluent. Help them enjoy language through stories and poetry and show them how to linger over an interesting page.

I'm interested in this, too, because I'm hoping (desperately) that MCT will solve our LA woes.

Is your oldest in 1st grade?

What LA woes do you have that you think MCT will solve?

Since most people don't start MCT until 3rd grade, I'm

curious what LA problems you might have now that could

be solved by MCT later?

Is your oldest in 1st grade?

What LA woes do you have that you think MCT will solve?

Since most people don't start MCT until 3rd grade, I'm

curious what LA problems you might have now that could

be solved by MCT later?

Yes, my oldest is in first. She's currently doing 2nd grade LA, though, and she's bored and whipping through it. My hope is that once we get to MCT we'll actually be able to have 1 year's worth of curriculum last for a year. Or even close would be nice. ;)

Yes, my oldest is in first. She's currently doing 2nd grade LA, though, and she's bored and whipping through it. My hope is that once we get to MCT we'll actually be able to have 1 year's worth of curriculum last for a year. Or even close would be nice. ;)

Ah, that makes sense. I said that most don't start MCT unti 3rd grade; however, some advanced students have successfully used Island level at younger ages. If your child can read, speak, and write fluently, and both of you have the inclination, you don't have to wait until a magic age to start MCT.

Ah, that makes sense. I said that most don't start MCT unti 3rd grade; however, some advanced students have successfully used Island level at younger ages. If your child can read, speak, and write fluently, and both of you have the inclination, you don't have to wait until a magic age to start MCT.

Nor do even need to use a curriculum! ;) Work with your child where his/her skills are.

From another thread ...

IMHO, the only prerequisite for Island would be. . .

+ reading well (3rd/4th gr level or higher)

+ comfort composing short (2-10 sentence) stories, paragraphs, letters, etc. (No need for perfection.)

If I were planning a pre-Island english program, I'd focus on:

+ reading, reading, reading

+ writing at least 3-6 sentences each week, ideally by writing a letter, composing a story, etc. Just *some* practice in composing thoughts into written sentences. Total casual/free is just fine. Don't pick it apart, but gently guide towards norms (basic punctuation/capitablization) over time.

+ spelling (as MCT doesn't cover it)

So, if MCT is the goal, what is a logical way to get there?
Read, read, read. Beautiful words, classic works, poems.... read. Read things you love. Sure this will help with vocabulary and grammar, but hopefully it will instill a love of words and sounds and stories and language, which is, at its core, what MCT is all about.