Menu

Writeshop scheduling frustration

Tohru

I have been trying so hard to schedule this. Every time I look at the TM and try to compare it to the Student book, I get annoyed because it doesn't match up and isn't making any sense. The student book seems disorganized and out of order and I can't see how it ties into what the TM is saying. Plus there are so many tabs that I find I'm flipping back and forth, back and forth.

Very annoyed right now!

Anyway, I spent a lot on this and it's been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks. I want to try again because I've heard great things, but trying to figure out how to use it alongside the student book is frustrating for me.

I get that your suppose to do x, y, and z on M/W/F, but our weeks do not flow that way. Maybe that is a part of the problem.

Does any one have a schedule for each lesson already written down that they are willing to share?

Thanks.

It is a scheduling mess!

But I have broken it up so each lesson takes about two weeks.

This is it in a nutshell:

1. Brainstorming activity together...corresponding worksheet on his own

2. Skills Support

3. Sloppy Copy

4. Revised Copy

5. Rough Draft

6. Copy work

That is six days of work, but he doesn't do it every day each week, so I stretch it over 2 weeks.

Perhaps I am forgetting something, not sure, we just moved so haven't done school work for about 2 weeks. But that sounds about right.

It IS working though, for all of the mess it is to organize it. I can see DS's writing slowly but surely getting better. He actually uses adjectives!!!

Thank you. This is kind of what we tried, but sometimes the Student worksheets don't seem to be in order. I can't just tell him to read this page, do that, write this...it's like the Skills Builder kind of hangs out there like a third pinkie somewhere, the wordy description doesn't even apply until half way through the next lesson, and then trying to get everything to fit into whatever the other student pages are focusing on is really driving me mad. :confused:

I was hoping for a Lesson by Lesson breakdown or maybe an errata link that fixes the disorganization. I don't know why I can't figure this out....I mean, I conquered CW Homer and could schedule that!

This is what we do (the details in parentheses are additional comments from me):

Day 1 -- Pre-writing activity (from TM) with Mom; Skill Builder Day 1

Day 2 -- Skill Builder Day 2; Go over directions for practice paragraph with Mom; Write practice paragraph and go over details with Mom (This means that I check to see how well he followed the student instruction sheet and make suggestions for things to remember when writing his graded paragraph)

Day 3 -- Skill Builder Day 3; Brainstorming Worksheet

Day 4 -- Write Sloppy Copy and check against Student Writing Skills Checklist

Day 5 -- Re-read Sloppy Copy and make changes/corrections (This is a self-edit process); Turn in to Mom (This is now his First Revision. When he turns it in I compare it to his Sloppy Copy to make sure he actually did go back and change a few things.)

Day 6 -- Make any needed corrections to your First Revision (These would be based on the Teacher Writing Skills Checklist that we go over together.); Turn in your Final Draft

This has helped keep things organized in my mind. You're still flipping around but you kind of get in a groove. I've planned out through Lesson 12 and this format works that far. I'm hoping it will carry me through the entire curriculum.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thank you. This is kind of what we tried, but sometimes the Student worksheets don't seem to be in order. I can't just tell him to read this page, do that, write this...it's like the Skills Builder kind of hangs out there like a third pinkie somewhere, the wordy description doesn't even apply until half way through the next lesson, and then trying to get everything to fit into whatever the other student pages are focusing on is really driving me mad. :confused:

I was hoping for a Lesson by Lesson breakdown or maybe an errata link that fixes the disorganization. I don't know why I can't figure this out....I mean, I conquered CW Homer and could schedule that!

YES YES and YES!!! Third pinkie...love it! You are so right that is what it feels like. your original post is mine too...I am so frustrated with the layout and organization and I just cringe at trying to do it. We got to Lesson 3 and are stuck. It is so annoying! But i know there IS good stuff in there.

Sorry I am no help but I have to say I am glad to see that I am NOT alone in my frustration. You nailed it on the head!

I bought WS after my dd was in a co-op and it was used there. It's a great little program. I just started using it in Sept and yes, I understand what you're saying about everything.

Listen, my dd has adhd, etc. And, my uncle unexpectedly passed away which took us to Ohio for several days. Then we were off to Disney World for a week.

Well, I haven't followed a plan. The strict schedule does NOT work for my dd. I like the program, but it is overwhelming b/c it's not real teacher-friendly. Or maybe it just lacks organization...don't know.

My 11 1/2 yo dd in 6th grade said to me today that she thinks we should take ws 2 days a week instead of 3. Well, with her issues I may consider that. I'd rather her take it more slowly and be successful than rush through it and not improve her writing.

We will NOT finish the 16 papers or whateverr it is. I'll shoot for 6. Hopefully her add/adhd will improve and I'll be able to accelerate her ws learning. But, for now, we must take it at a slower pace.

However, with that said, it can be tooooo slow and material can be forgotten.

You'll have the find the right balance that works for you and your family.

HTH. Sheryl <><

My oldest used this with a teacher at co-op in junior high and they did most of the initial work over one week. They would turn in their work and the next week they would start the next assignment. Then they would begin alternating between the new assignment and a revision of the previous assignment.

week one: do lesson one, skill builders etc through the week.

turn in first draft of assignment.

week two: do lesson two etc turn in paper and rewrite week one paper with corrections from checklist.

week three: do lesson three etc, turn in paper and rewrite week 2 paper

They got into a rhythm after awhile. I would follow the student book and refer back to the TM if you aren't sure what they are trying to explain to the student. My daughter still uses many skills that she acquired during her two years spent on write shop. Good luck.