Menu

Any LDS moms on board? I have a wee question.

I've been reading up on food storage and see you guys are the vanguard in this respect.

I was also reading about dry pack canning. I'm not really in the market for a dry pack canner but I see that there are LDS canning centers. Do they let non LDSers (I'm sure that's the technical term!) use those facilities? If so, how much do they charge? How would a girl go about contacting someone about it?

Or is it just for members of the community?

?

Thanks!

Get in contact with someone local to you- you can call the bishop local to you if you look in the phonebook. In order to go to the cannery, you have to go with an LDS member. Depending on the cannery, sometimes you can take your stuff there and can it there (no cost except for the actual cost of cans) or your friend can check it out and you do it at home and then bring the canner back. You can also ask the LDS missionaries.

I would give your local cannery a call and find out what their rules about non-members (that's the "technical term" for you ;) ) using the facilities. I know at one point you could come if you were in the company of a member of the Church, but I'm not sure if that's still the case now, or if it's left up to the local canneries to decide. And you'll more than likely need to make an appointment for a specific day and time, unless your local cannery has "walk-in" times.

Here's a website where you can download a PDF of the order form you would fill out if you went to the cannery. You'll need to call ahead to find out if they have what you want in stock.

And here's where you can find out where your local cannery is, and their contact information.

Get in contact with someone local to you- you can call the bishop local to you if you look in the phonebook. In order to go to the cannery, you have to go with an LDS member. Depending on the cannery, sometimes you can take your stuff there and can it there (no cost except for the actual cost of cans) or your friend can check it out and you do it at home and then bring the canner back. You can also ask the LDS missionaries.

At our local cannery you are absolutely NOT allowed to bring in your own food to can. They don't want it contaminating the other stuff. But you can purchase the cans and/or mylar bags, and rent a sealer (either for the cans or the mylar) to can your own stuff at home.

Oh, and be prepared to can stuff that you aren't even buying. :lol: If you're there with a bunch of other people who are also canning, then you're going to be put to work helping to can their stuff too. They only can one product at a time, so everybody is working to can enough sugar or wheat or dried apples for all the people who are there at that time wanting to purchase it, and then you'll move on to the next product.

Our local extension office has a canning facility that people can come in and use. They bring their own food and use the facilities equipment. I think there is a small fee. I don't know if regular canning is similar to 'dry canning' but there might be other facilities near you. You should definately check with your county's extension office or state university.

:001_smile: As an additional plug for extension office's everywhere: this year our office has offered classes on making rain barrels, raising front porch fruit trees (planters), and urban bee-keeping. They will also safety check and test pressure cookers. They are funded by tax dollars through the state universities.

Yep, we have lots of "non-members" accompany members to the cannery. It's really a lot of fun. I enjoy going. Do what everyone else said and call a local ward bishop. You're more likely to catch them in their office on a Sunday. Look up "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" in the white pages. If there is a listing for "Bishop's storehouse", you could try that number as well.

I.had.no.idea!

Thanks so much for the excellent information. I didnt' realize that I would have to use their food but of course when you explain it that way it makes perfect sense. I'll do some checking.

It sounds like a co-op. Long ago, in TN, we belonged to a food co-op. We had to put in a work day/month. It was a great deal, though. I personally would be happy to help out in the canning line for everyone. It seems so community. like the old days. quilting bee, canning bee.

Pardon me while I wax nostalgic.

Do LDSs feel bothered by non-members wanting to participate? Mileage probably varies by individual.

I've been reading up on food storage and see you guys are the vanguard in this respect.

I was also reading about dry pack canning. I'm not really in the market for a dry pack canner but I see that there are LDS canning centers. Do they let non LDSers (I'm sure that's the technical term!) use those facilities? If so, how much do they charge? How would a girl go about contacting someone about it?

Or is it just for members of the community?

?

Thanks!

:lurk5:

Thank you for asking about this. I've just starting looking into this, have located a local canning center, but have no idea where to go from there or what to expect. I will be watching this thread.

Do LDSs feel bothered by non-members wanting to participate? Mileage probably varies by individual.

Not at all! You'll actually be made to feel pretty welcome, I would imagine. You'll probably be asked a lot about how you came to know about the cannery, and "are you into preparedness too?" type questions, but I highly doubt anybody will give you the stink eye. :)

And ya, it is a sort of co-op set-up, and it is really fun. :)

(and FYI: their dehydrated carrots and potato pearls [which are different from the potato flakes] are suuuuper yummy!)

Well, we have two types of canneries....wet pack and dry pack. It depends on the one you have in your area. Unless you happen to live in UT, ID or CA...then you have both. :D

At the wet pack cannery, you will be given a hair net to cover your hair, gloves and an apron. You will be given your instructions as to what foods will be canned and how to do it. You'll wait beside the conveyor belts (it is just like a regular, commercial, canning factory. Then you work while you make new friends and have fun! For wet pack canning, you can usually only purchase what you have canned that day, or perhaps some items that have been canned previously that week that they have extras of (pardon the dangling preposition, I'm lazy).

Dry pack is foods like beans, flour, wheat, potato pearls, etc. When you finish a dry pack shift, you may buy whatever is there for purchase. Usually you place your order ahead of time.

Here are a couple of articles to help you get a better idea of what goes on in our canneries and how our welfare system works.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_6735380

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/11166/Mormons-food-canning-operations-busier-than-ever

I'll try to dig up more when I can....I'm off to run errands at the moment. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We Mormons are always happy to talk food storage. :lol:

So, when I call, if they say I can go there, what can I expect? I don't know anything about canning, but I'm very willing to learn. :001_smile:

You'll find that everyone that works there is a volunteer (right?), very friendly, and they are very willing to help you learn how to can. You should ask lots of questions about anything you're curious about and also ask for a tour of the Bishop's storehouse. ;) Have fun!