Menu

My neighbor just called to let me know she had to put her dog down

We've been across-the-street neighbors for about seven years. We babysit each other's kids, borrow/lend food, and dd18 has taken care of their pets for about five of those years when they go out of town.

Roscoe was a lovely, sweet, huggable pit bull (I know, I know! But he was just the opposite of everything you hear in the news.) Anyway, she just called, in tears, to ask me to tell my daughter the news because they are going away for Thanksgiving and dd was to take care of all the pets. I'm brokenhearted for her and the whole family (her father was here and he picked up the two boys, ages 11 and 5 from school to bring them to the vet so they could say good-bye, and her dh got off of work early to be there as well.)

They LOVED this dog very, very much - he was like a child to them. (well, almost) Anyway, I really want to do something to show how much I care about their loss. I thought of cookies or something like that, but she's diabetic and cannot have sweets. I just want them to know that I realize how very difficult it is and that I care. Of course, I said all that on the phone, but it doesn't seem like enough to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry for your neighbors (even though it is a pit bull!). When we lost our beloved black lab, SO many people wrote us notes and sent cards. I kept them all! I think anything you do would be appreciated. But, perhaps a note from your dd with specific memories would be especially appreciated!

:grouphug:

This made me bust out in tears. I think you're right. I think they'd really enjoy that. He was such a hoot. He really thought he was a little bitty lap dog and wanted to lay across you when you sat on the sofa. Dd is probably a bit upset, too, which I hadn't really considered. She's in her room painting the wainscoting we finally got up. Perhaps I'd better go check on her, too. Oh, and thanks for the hug.

This made me bust out in tears. I think you're right. I think they'd really enjoy that. He was such a hoot. He really thought he was a little bitty lap dog and wanted to lay across you when you sat on the sofa. Dd is probably a bit upset, too, which I hadn't really considered. She's in her room painting the wainscoting we finally got up. Perhaps I'd better go check on her, too. Oh, and thanks for the hug.

Awwww. I bet she could write a very sweet note. And, yes. I bet she's upset too. :grouphug: I bet this weekend will be hard for her too.

:sad: So very sorry.

Our first yellow lab had to be put down Christmas Eve morning 8 years ago now, I think.

We have our 2nd yellow lab.

Perhaps making a donation in her dog's memory to a local dog rescue organization, or along those lines.

If you have a picture of the dog you can take the image to Walmart and have it scanned. They can recreate that image on a mouse pad, calendar, mug, etc.

:grouphug: Sheryl <><

There is a lovely picture book by Cynthia Rylant called Dog Heaven that is really very comforting. Our vet lent us a copy when our dog was put down and I bought one for us and have one that I lend out to friends as well. It's in paperback, so not too pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Heaven-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0590417010/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290555516&sr=1-1#_

It's not really theological (though it is about dogs in heaven, i don't think it's meant to be taken literally in terms of theology), just sweet and as I said, very comforting.

:sad: So very sorry.

Our first yellow lab had to be put down Christmas Eve morning 8 years ago now, I think.

We have our 2nd yellow lab.

Perhaps making a donation in her dog's memory to a local dog rescue organization, or along those lines.

If you have a picture of the dog you can take the image to Walmart and have it scanned. They can recreate that image on a mouse pad, calendar, mug, etc.

:grouphug: Sheryl <><

This is a great idea. Roscoe was a rescued dog himself. I think they'd really love this.

There is a lovely picture book by Cynthia Rylant called Dog Heaven that is really very comforting. Our vet lent us a copy when our dog was put down and I bought one for us and have one that I lend out to friends as well. It's in paperback, so not too pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Heaven-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0590417010/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290555516&sr=1-1#_

It's not really theological (though it is about dogs in heaven, i don't think it's meant to be taken literally in terms of theology), just sweet and as I said, very comforting.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out.:)

how about one of those doggie "angles" with the breed's face? an ornament you put a pic of the dog in? a frame for a pic of the dog, one which is fitting for this reason?

It's so hard to deal with. I have the most amazing rat terrier that is running out of steam. I appreciate seeing her on a daily basis right now, knowing her time is limited. She will be SO MISSED when she's gone. I love her so much.

If you have a photo of the dog, you might look for a local artist to do a charcoal sketch for them that could be framed. I treasure mine of my girl that I lost four years ago this next Sunday. As dumb as it may sound to others, I am still sad at this time of the year because it is when she died.

BTW, pit bulls can be quite loving dogs as can be rottweilers and dobermans (and many others). Unfortunately, their only significant PR is bad. All of these breeds have been beloved family members at some point over the years.

If you have a photo of the dog, you might look for a local artist to do a charcoal sketch for them that could be framed. I treasure mine of my girl that I lost four years ago this next Sunday. As dumb as it may sound to others, I am still sad at this time of the year because it is when she died.

BTW, pit bulls can be quite loving dogs as can be rottweilers and dobermans (and many others). Unfortunately, their only significant PR is bad. All of these breeds have been beloved family members at some point over the years.

Actually, my nephew is a portrait artist. He is also very sweet and would probably do this for me. At first, I kept thinking that I have no pictures, but I think I may brave the task of asking my neighbor for one just so I can do this. Thanks for the suggestion.