Menu

What to put in Advent House?

I have one that is a bit bigger in it's space... I keep my eyes out for months at a time for little things...

It used to be that my son (youngest) LOVED quarter machine junk... like the gold and silver "jewelry"/crosses on string... goofy rubber aliens... etc. It was easy back then...

This year I have some very cute silly erasers to go in about 7 of them... 4 very small ornaments he can add to the tree... 4 mega block halo men (might have to pull them apart at the waist for them to fit in)... and I will take 4 quarters and tape them together to put into a few of the spaces (he still asks for quarters all the time)... and I might get some individually wrapped small candy, like jolly ranchers or starburst to put into some, too...

That's it so far.

PS Last year he was SO excited about every little square... he could NOT stop peeking... it was totally adorable... This year I think I'll wrap each little thing in colored tissue, though. It's still so cute! I know this is his favorite part of the season. The other boys have their own advent calendars with little chocolates behind each number....

Edited by BMW

We did one last year for the first time. We put in little papers with different activities for each day. Here is our list from last year (some ideas went over better than others!):

1. Make Christmas chain
  2. Get Christmas books from the library
  3. Take Christmas pictures
  4. Drink Egg Nog
  5. Purge toys—get rid of 10 and get 1 new one
  6. Make gingerbread house
  7. Sing Christmas carols for someone
  8. Make ornaments
  9. Make Christmas cookies for someone
  10. Go to Sumner bridge
  11. Find out about Christmas in other countries
  12. Light candles and sing Christmas songs
  13. Watch Sufjan Christmas video
  14. Do a secret good deed
  15. Go for a walk
  16. Watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn
  17. Make cards for teachers
  18. Make wrapping paper
  19. Wrap presents
  20. Make Christmas decorations
  21. Find out how candy canes are made
  22. Purge toys
  23. Make Christmas cookies
  24. Act out Christmas story

Little scrolls with verses from the nativity story in Luke and Matthew to read? Advent is a Christian season so that's our focus, not on giving mini gifts for 25 days ;) although a little piece of candy is pretty traditional and we've done that in addition to a meaningful activity/Bible reading.

Here is a schedule for reading, keeping in mind that Jesus' birth takes place half way through the month or so because the account of the shepherds, Herod and the magi come *after* and we like to include them. Feel free to rearrange, though, to get the "main event" at Christmas Eve/Christmas! LOL Some sections are longer to introduce a person and their story; the shorter sections are good for memorization if you'd like to do that.

Daily Advent Readings for the Nativity Story

Day 1

Luke 1:5-17

Zechariah and the angel

Day 2

Luke 1:18-22

Zechariah unable to speak

Day 3

Luke 1:23-25

Elizabeth becomes pregnant

Day 4

Luke 1:26-28

Gabriel sent to Mary

Day 5

Luke 1:29-33

Angel reassures Mary

Day 6

Luke 1:34-38

Angel explains and Mary accepts

Day 7

Luke 1:39-45

Mary meets Elizabeth, baby leaps for joy

Day 8

Luke 1:46-50

Mary's Song (part), “will call me blessed”

Day 9

Luke 1:51-56

Mary's Song (2nd part), God's goodness

Day 10

Matthew 1:18-24

Joseph & the angel, Joseph & Mary marry

Day 11

Luke 1:57-66

Elizabeth gives birth to John, Z. can speak!

Day 12

Luke 1:67-75

Zechariah's Song (part), praise to God

Day 13

Luke 1:76-80

Zechariah's Song (2nd part), John's ministry from God

Day 14

Luke 2:1-3

The census

Day 15

Luke 2:4-7

Joseph and Mary go to Bethlehem to register; JESUS IS BORN!

Day 16

Luke 2:8-9

Shepherds afraid of angel of the Lord

Day 17

Luke 2:10-12

Angel brings good tidings

Day 18

Luke 2:13-14

“Glory to God in the highest!” (angels)

Day 19

Luke 2:15-16

Shepherds go to Bethlehem

Day 20

Luke 2:17-18

Shepherds spread the word about Jesus

Day 21

Luke 2:19-20

“Mary treasured these things in her heart”

Day 22

Matthew 2:1-2

King Herod

Day 23

Matthew 2:3-6

Herod asks about Jesus, magi reply

Day 24

Matthew 2:7-9

Herod sends Magi to Bethlehem

Day 25

Matthew 2:10-12

Magi worship Jesus and give gifts

Edited by 6packofun
add

We did one last year for the first time. We put in little papers with different activities for each day. Here is our list from last year (some ideas went over better than others!):

1. Make Christmas chain

2. Get Christmas books from the library

3. Take Christmas pictures

4. Drink Egg Nog

5. Purge toys—get rid of 10 and get 1 new one

6. Make gingerbread house

7. Sing Christmas carols for someone

8. Make ornaments

9. Make Christmas cookies for someone

10. Go to Sumner bridge

11. Find out about Christmas in other countries

12. Light candles and sing Christmas songs

13. Watch Sufjan Christmas video

14. Do a secret good deed

15. Go for a walk

16. Watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn

17. Make cards for teachers

18. Make wrapping paper

19. Wrap presents

20. Make Christmas decorations

21. Find out how candy canes are made

22. Purge toys

23. Make Christmas cookies

24. Act out Christmas story

I LOVE this list!!! We have one of those advent houses too, and last year I did Christ-centered scriptures, but I think my kids were too young to appreciate them. I think a list like the one above would be more engaging, and I can bring a Spiritual theme into it all (like the doing kind deeds for someone, and giving toys to GoodWill for kids whose parents can't afford to buy them new toys, etc.)

We do one a day starting on the first of December and they're always treasure hunts. Each kid gets a clue from the door and follows it to another clue and then another and then another until they finally get to the prize. It's usually a little piece of Christmas candy or a Christmas cookie, but there's other stuff too - I've already gotten Christmas pencils and Christmas socks from the dollar section at Target for them to find.

For us, the treasure hunt is about learning to read. We do these other times of the year too, but they get one every day as a special Christmas thing. The OP's kids are too old for this sort of thing, but for my kids last year (when they were 5 yo) this was a great reading practice thing - they had to follow the directions and read all the words to get to the next clue. Of course, if you make them a little tricky or cryptic, they can be fun for all ages.

I LOVE this list!!! We have one of those advent houses too, and last year I did Christ-centered scriptures, but I think my kids were too young to appreciate them. I think a list like the one above would be more engaging, and I can bring a Spiritual theme into it all (like the doing kind deeds for someone, and giving toys to GoodWill for kids whose parents can't afford to buy them new toys, etc.)

Thanks! :) We do advent Scriptures at dinner with the wreath and the candles--I try to find a balance between fun and important. Fortunately they appreciate both. :) I just remember thinking about how we would spend the whole month shopping and planning and going to parties and events, and then try to convince the kids on the 25th that Christmas is "all about Jesus". Talk about a mixed message!