Menu

QUICK! Keep or toss this raw pork loin?

I had planned on preparing a maple-glazed roast pork loin for dinner. I just bought the pork loin yesterday at Safeway, and the use-by date is still 3 days away. I haven't purchased pork in a long time. Is it supposed to have any odor? It smells mildly "poop-ish" (sorry for the descriptive, but that's the first thing that came to mind), almost like turned raw chicken.

Is it a keep or a toss?

Eh. I'd be hesitant to eat it. Some raw meat smells vaguely yucky to me when I open it- the aforementioned sealed-up-blood smell- but the only meat I've ever smelled that was actually poopish was definitely bad. If you really, really don't want to throw it away, I suppose you could cook it and try a bite yourself. In my experience, meat that has gone bad enough to smell like that will taste like that, too.

Was it one of those sealed up in a plastic tube thingy? It's probably the blood you smell. It has a strong odor when it's been sealed up like that.

Yep. Commercially packed, "Smithfield" brand. I don't want to think about pork slaughter practices, but the recipe looked AMAZING in Cook's Illustrated this month, so I broke down and bought it.