Menu

what should I do? Thanksgiving travel...

We are supposed to travel to my sister's house (6 hours away) for Thanksgiving. Originally, my MIL said she'd be available to dogsit for us; now she has decided she can't. My sister doesn't want us to bring the dogs; we have no friends, etc. who could take them; we can't afford a kennel, as we can barely afford the trip.

Should I say to my sister, "either we bring them or we can't come?" Or should I take up my other sister's offer to pay for the kenneling of the dogs as a Christmas gift to us as a family? (I don't want to do this, as it seems really unfair to my dc to give up their gift for this).

In either case, it will cause (and has already caused) a lot of stress for me and DH. So, advice???

Does your local homeschooling group allow you to send a message to the group? If so, you could try to get a teenage pet sitter. It'd be cheaper than a kennel, at least around here. My ds charges $6-7/visit, or $18-20/day to housesit instead of making separate visits. I would not make my kids have a kennel visit for the dogs be their Christmas gift. Short notice could be an issue on finding a pet sitter, though. My son has been booked for Thanksgiving weekend for a while now. And people are already calling in droves for Christmas time.

I think your sister's offer to pay for kenneling as a gift to you is the perfect solution.

I'd have absolutely no qualms about having my kids forgo a present in exchange for getting to spend Thanksgiving with family.

:iagree:

But, I'd also try hard to find a teenager or neighbor to let the dogs out.

Why did your MIL wait until the last minute to change her mind? Not fair!!!!:glare:

Should I say to my sister, "either we bring them or we can't come?" Or should I take up my other sister's offer to pay for the kenneling of the dogs as a Christmas gift to us as a family? (I don't want to do this, as it seems really unfair to my dc to give up their gift for this).

?

I would not say this. It leaves your sister in an awkward position. She's already told you she does not want the dogs. If she says yes, it'll be stressful having them there because you know she doesn't really want them there. If she says no, then she'll feel like a heel for ruining your Thanksgiving. :grouphug:

Something will work out!