Menu

How to improve your own creative writing...

Does anyone out there feel like sharing how they have improved their own writing. I am guessing there are several avenues such as: just write as much as possible and allow it to improve, read books about writing (I just bought Creative Writing for Dummies - don't laugh!), or attend classes or workshops, or perhaps all three.

I would love to hear what has worked for others!

Thanks!

It wouldn't work for me now, because I have aged and almost never remember my dreams, but if you do dream (and you will remember more if you make it a habit), write them down. You can get very detailed and descriptive with it. I did it for a few months in college, as advised in a text, and it was good. It told me I had more of an imagination than I thought.

I am still working on improving my creative writing. To start with, I took an online class. I learned a ton. Then I began to write short stories and children's books. I also joined a local critique group--SCBWI. When I get a chance, I attend conferences. I also try to read books that have been successful. And when I read a book for fun, every now and then I force myself to take a step back and try to analyze the author's writing style--how they put sentences together, which words they choose, and other things.

I started out by doing a blog and it segued from there. I've learned to sit down, pen in hand, and start writing. No editing, just let it flow and see what happens. It helps if you have an idea. Take that idea and brainstorm characters, where you want to go with the story. Then do a really rough outline. Then sit down and start to write. The more you write the better you get.

I've picked up books like "The Pocket Muse" or "The Little Red writing Book", books that have writing prompts and exercises that tickle your brain and imagination.

Your library might have a writer's club. Or look on meetup.com for one. See if you can find some sort of writing critique group.

If you can't find one in person, you might be able to find one online (I used to belong to an online one years ago, and was a member for a few years until the guy who started it and ran it died and the rest of us kind of drifted apart). :(

Your local community college might also have course you can take for fun, not sure about prices.

And sure, why not read books about it? See what your library has to offer!

I work for a literary agency and have a lot of experience reading, critiquing, and editing. They always say the first million words are crap, but I think you can cut down on the crap by doing a lot of reading about writing and by belonging to a critique group. You can learn a lot by analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of other writers. The best critique groups are the ones where the writers pass out their work before the meetings and where the critique session is all about the critiques and not about the writer talking or arguing. I would also advise a group where people are writing more or less in the same genre.

Study poetry.

Read your favorite authors and pay attention to how they craft their stories.

Read "how to" and motivational books by well-known writers - the Ann Lammott book referenced earlier is one of my favorites.

Join a writer's forum or find a writer's group that accepts newbies. The Writer's Digest magazine online forum has a critique section as well as writin prompts to get your juices flowing (there are many out there...Absolute Write is a good one, too).

Did I say Read? :)

I've been out of practice for a long time. Even blogging is hard for me, right now. However, once I get back into practice, reading, writing, observing life around me...my writing improves. Like a muscle that needs flexing. :)

However, once I get back into practice, reading, writing, observing life around me...my writing improves. Like a muscle that needs flexing. :)

Yes, exactly. It's amazing how many people think they're ready for prime time the first time they string two sentences together. It's the equivalent of learning to play Chopsticks and then expecting to play Carnegie Hall.

To become a good writer is like anything else, it takes years of practice. And the competition for publication is ferocious. Anything less than your best effort won't cut it.