Menu

Do Catholics still take Confirmation names? Do Orthodox believers?

Just curious--

Dd's piano teacher mistakenly called her Elizabeth; I told dd that would have been my Confirmation name, if the Episcopal Church upheld that tradition (some do, but not at my particular church growing up).

I just wondered if Catholics do this still, and if Orthodox believers do or ever did.

Orthodox Christians do. My daughter and I were recently baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox Church. Within the church, we are now known by the names of our patron saints. Outside of the Church, I still go by the name my parents gave me. If I had been born Orthodox, of course, my given/legal name and my Christian name would be one and the same.

Orthodox Christians do. My daughter and I were recently baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox Church. Within the church, we are now known by the names of our patron saints. Outside of the Church, I still go by the name my parents gave me. If I had been born Orthodox, of course, my given/legal name and my Christian name would be one and the same.

I had just posted, but it mysteriously disappeared. Congratulations, Greta! So happy for you both! :)

I'm not Catholic or Orthodox, but we just took a field trip to an Orthodox monastery. The monks told us that at Confirmation they do take a new name if their given name was not a saint's name.

Some priests enforce that "if", and some don't. :001_smile: Some priests would have had me go by the name Margaret (or Marina, Greek), from which Greta is derived. But my priest told me to chose whichever saint I felt a connection to. I would have honored whatever my priest had suggested, but I'm glad I got to chose. I love "my" saint so much.

Actually, now the Catholic Church encourages those making their confirmation to use their baptismal name. However, it is still ok to use a saint's name. My son made his confirmation three years ago and my daughter will this year. My son was pretty happy with his given name so used that as his confirmation name.