Menu

Visitors to our homeschool today (a silly story)

Today we had 2 visitors to our homeschool.

One was dds Algebra 2 tutor. A former NASA Engineer, who tutors high schoolers for free now that he has retired because he loves math and helping people. He goes to our church, but I am not sure he has encountered any other homeschoolers.

The other visitor was a mouse. The doorbell rang just as screaming erupted from the kitchen. I ran to the kitchen to deal with the screams and my 5yo ds ran to open the door. The mouse popped out from under the sink, ran around in a couple crazy circles, then collapsed in a twitching heap. I asked the tutor to wait just a second while the kids and I held a whispered conference about what to do (yes, we are that wimpy.) I got dd 1 to stop screaming, dd 2 said once it was completely dead she would take it outside, dd 3 ran to my room to hide in the closet and ds announced (loudly) to the visitor that there was an almost dead mouse in the kitchen so he should wait.

The very nice tutor offered to wield the dustpan and broom & remove the offending rodent.

Welcome to homeschooling!

Amber in SJ

Oh my! That totally reminds me of my first date with dh! I lived in the country and was having a time with field mice getting in, so my dad got some poison for me to put down. Well, right before now-dh arrives, this mouse comes out and does the same kind of death circle before collapsing in the hallway! I was not responding well, to say the least! I just don't "do" mice or bugs...

Anyway, I called a friend and was going a little crazy on the phone about what I should do. I knew I wouldn't touch it, and I was embarrassed for my soon-to-arrive date to see it! My friend says, "Make him pick it up when he gets there!" I told her I couldn't do that; I'd be embarrassed, nervous about his response, etc. She said, "If he's not man enough to dispose of a dead mouse without making you feel weird, then you should find that out now." LOL. So, I asked him, quite nervous of his reply. 12 years later...I guess you can figure out that he passed the "man enough" test! LOL. So, I now have my own live-in bug killer/mouse catcher. :D