Menu

Megawords, Apples Dailey Spell Drills or both, anyone used Dailey Lang. Review?

Peggy in Ks

My dds will be in 7th grade nex year and have always had a problem with spelling. I was thinking of using Megawords with them then I saw Apples Spelling Drills. Is one better then the other or should I use both?

How many of the Megawords book would they go through in a school year?

I also wanted opinions on Dailey Language Reivew compared to Dailey Grams.

Thanks

Peggy

My dd is in 7th and she uses Apples and she will do Apples 2 in 8th grade. It only takes about 10 min. and I think it is a good refresher on spelling rules. I also have her doing a oral language book where she has to find the errors in 2 sentences and correct them. She does this daily and it only takes about 10 min to do. In this book it deals with punctuation, spelling, etc. I like that it is just a quick review she does daily.

I haven't used Megawords.

We've used both here, and the method or approach is very different. Apples is very independent focusing on spelling rules. An older student takes only a few minutes to complete a daily lesson. There is lots of built in review. Megawords focuses on breaking the words down into syllables, and a teacher is needed to give spelling tests etc. I'd have to say look at the samples and see where your student(s) need to focus. They are both good for different reasons.;) And if you have more questions, just ask away.

We've used both here, and the method or approach is very different. Apples is very independent focusing on spelling rules. An older student and takes only a few minutes to complete a daily lesson. There is lots of built in review. Megawords focuses on breaking the words down into syllables, and a teacher is needed to give spelling tests etc. I'd have to say look at the samples and see where your student(s) need to focus. They are both good for different reasons.;) And if you have more questions, just ask away.

Do you think it would be too much to do both? I'm was also considering one or the other but if Apples on takes 10 minutes both might be possible. What do you think?

We used them together here successfully. My dd is a teen and is pretty motivated to conqueror spelling. I don't think they are overkill together, but it might be with some students. (My dd takes about 10 minutes on the Apples and then 15 or so on Megawords.)

fwiw, Next year she will be only using Apples. The Megawords truly helped with taking the words apart and spelling (aka reading and writing) them in syllables.

My 4th grade son used Evan-Moor's Daily Language Review this past year because we took a year off from formal grammar (shhhh....). I wanted something that would just keep the concepts fresh in his mind. It worked in that regard, but it was very, very, very repetitive. After about 12 straight weeks (of almost the same stuff), I found a couple of other things to use with him to help break up the monotony. We have one more week remaining of "4th grade", and he has completed 22 weeks of the workbook. That is more than enough!

Keep in mind that Daily Language Review is just that...review only. There is no direct teaching involved. I think Evan Moor does publish some other workbooks that teach and review grammar concepts.

HTH!