Menu

Essential Literary Terms

I have, by googling the ISBN (978-1-4138-8423-4).

I thing ELT is a good book, but much more useful with the answer key. I emailed Norton from their website requesting permission as a homeschooling teacher to buy the answers, but they never responded :glare:. I bought the student book directly from SWB's booth at a homeschool curriculum fair. It would be very helpful if PHP sold the answer key. Not all of us are PhD literary types for whom this stuff is easy.

I hope you can find one!

GardenMom

I don't even remember how I got that now. :tongue_smilie: How can I lose that many brain cells in just a few months? Anyway, I thought the $40 I paid for it was outrageous but I am thrilled to have it. I agree that it makes working through ELT much, MUCH easier.

PS I tried to find the receipt so I could point you in the right direction but I can't even find that. I'm sorry.

• 3 months later...

I just looked into this and the Socialstudies.com wants $40 for the answer key booklet. :eek:

http://www.socialstudies.com/c/product.html?nocache@3+s@VY8KZOUcLDJJQ+record@TF41830+s@VY8KZOUcLDJJQ

I will wait for Norton's answer and if I don't make any progress on that, I may have to ask a teacher friend to help out....or eventually fork out $40 bucks. We shall see.

I just looked into this and the Socialstudies.com wants $40 for the answer key booklet. :eek:

http://www.socialstudies.com/c/product.html?nocache@3+s@VY8KZOUcLDJJQ+record@TF41830+s@VY8KZOUcLDJJQ

I will wait for Norton's answer and if I don't make any progress on that, I may have to ask a teacher friend to help out....or eventually fork out $40 bucks. We shall see.

Please let us know if Norton answers, and what they say. I doubt they will, though.

40 bucks is the going rate for the answer book, if you can find it. I'm wishing again that Peace Hill Press would offer both.

I finally received a reply back from Norton asking me to fill out a "password request" form. This is not the same as the initial form that I filled out so I am giddy that there is progress. I will post an update once I receive new word. :001_smile:

Whoo hoo! What did you tell them in your initial email?

• 4 months later...
Who did you email cause I am getting nowhere. Or I haven't found the right site yet. I keep coming up with " you must order a class set". I'm in the wrong spot:D

Thanks!!!!

Go here:

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/978-0-393-92837-2/

Then on the lower left corner under "Instructor" click on the link for "Contact Your Instructor" and fill out the form and wait for a reply. I told them I was a homeschooling mom and we are using this book for our English curriculum..blah..blah. It took a while for them to reply, I was then given a link to establish an account (instructor) which gave me access to the files and then some. It has a lot of other useful files in there for instructors. If I remember correctly, I think you can even access some other Norton books.

HTH.

Lulu

Does your password give you access to anything useful beyond the answer key?

For the book itself it was answers to the exercises as well as online exercises from the textbook in pdf format. I print out the pages and that's what DD answers. I also have copies stored on my Ipad so I can check her answers when we are on the go. You can also access other Norton books in all subjects since they gave me access to the Norton Resource Library. I am not sure if having a .edu email address helped but that is what I used to correspond with them. HTH.

Go here:

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/978-0-393-92837-2/

Then on the lower left corner under "Instructor" click on the link for "Contact Your Instructor" and fill out the form and wait for a reply. I told them I was a homeschooling mom and we are using this book for our English curriculum..blah..blah. It took a while for them to reply, I was then given a link to establish an account (instructor) which gave me access to the files and then some. It has a lot of other useful files in there for instructors. If I remember correctly, I think you can even access some other Norton books.

HTH.

Lulu

When I use that link and hit "Contact Your Representative" it wants me to choose my university from a list. How did you get around that?

Thanks so much for keeping this thread going. I've really been wondering about this since it was first posted months ago. I'm grateful that you've updated.

When I use that link and hit "Contact Your Representative" it wants me to choose my university from a list. How did you get around that?

Thanks so much for keeping this thread going. I've really been wondering about this since it was first posted months ago. I'm grateful that you've updated.

If I remember correctly, I think I used my school (I am taking college classes) from the list. I used my .edu email address to contact them and explained what I needed and such. If all else fails, I think you can contact Norton directly or their customer service:

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/aboutcontent.aspx?id=4610

HTH. Good luck.

If I remember correctly, I think I used my school (I am taking college classes) from the list. I used my .edu email address to contact them and explained what I needed and such. If all else fails, I think you can contact Norton directly or their customer service:

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/aboutcontent.aspx?id=4610

HTH. Good luck.

Thank you. I think I'll contact them directly.

Thank you!! I've contacted them and will wait. But in the meantime, does anyone have the answer key that they could email?? Is that allowed? I just want the answers to the book so we can check the work. And thanks for the sugestion of having in on the iPad. I've got to remember to put those PDFs on here.

Hello all. I've been getting several emails about this and I just wanted to post that I do not have any control over what Norton does or does not do. Please don't send me rude emails because I was able to get access to the library (for free) and you did or could not. I have posted all the info that I could on this and don't really mind answering questions about it. But I am not Norton and I don't know what their policy is on who gets to have access or not. :)

• 5 months later...
Thank you!! I've contacted them and will wait. But in the meantime, does anyone have the answer key that they could email?? Is that allowed? I just want the answers to the book so we can check the work. And thanks for the sugestion of having in on the iPad. I've got to remember to put those PDFs on here.

Were you able to contact Norton about this? Let me know what stuff you are looking for. I may be able to help if I have the info. :)

I have, by googling the ISBN (978-1-4138-8423-4).

I thing ELT is a good book, but much more useful with the answer key. I emailed Norton from their website requesting permission as a homeschooling teacher to buy the answers, but they never responded :glare:. I bought the student book directly from SWB's booth at a homeschool curriculum fair. It would be very helpful if PHP sold the answer key. Not all of us are PhD literary types for whom this stuff is easy.

I hope you can find one!

GardenMom

When I searched, I found People's Education, which has pdf versions of the instructor handbook. They also have a high school edition of the Essential Literary Terms.

However, it looks like you can only get access to the instructor handbook with the purchase of 10 or more student texts. And it's unclear if even then you would get access, since the FAQ indicates that homeschoolers are not supported (I saw this on a FAQ page that I now can't seem to get back to).

It really would be great if PHP could sell the teacher guide.

But I also have to ask. How tough are the exercises? Is the teacher guide necessary or just helpful?

... I was able to get access to the library (for free) and you did or could not.

I have heard from Norton! After demonstrating that I was a genuine homeschool teacher, I've been offered access for one year at a cost of $20. Any idea why it would be free for one person, and $20 for someone else?

Tiffany

I have heard from Norton! After demonstrating that I was a genuine homeschool teacher, I've been offered access for one year at a cost of $20. Any idea why it would be free for one person, and $20 for someone else?

Tiffany

Because they haven't really thought through if or how to grant access to homeschoolers? Therefore they don't have a consistent or well known standard.

The People's Education site (which is an authorized vendor of Norton school books) has the teachers' edition in .pdf format. But it's only available if you have purchased 10 copies of the student text.

For better or for worse, there is a perception out there that teachers' editions ought be held private. I guess so that assignment answers and test bank items aren't readily available on the internet or to anyone with money to buy a TM. And this perception isn't unfounded, unfortunately.

FWIW, I've seen TMs listed for hundreds of dollars. So $20 doesn't sound horrid.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm thinking of TMs for science texts. I didn't mean it to sound like I'd seen the ELT TM for those high prices.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

It may be that they don't have a standard way of doing this yet (i.e. do we give access to homeschoolers or not, for a fee or not, etc.) and that every rep encountered gives a different answer. Recently, I noticed that the access given to me had been restricted to only the ELT book and even though I can see the other Norton books out there on the page, I have "no permission" to check those out. Does the $20 fee allow you access to everything or just for that book?

Tiffany

• 6 months later...

I contacted Norton yesterday after receiving my book in the mail. When I read the back and saw answers were available I went online immediately. I had to end up calling. Then, I've had to jump through some hoops emailing back and forth. Now, it appears I have to contact yet again the lady I originally spoke to. She warned me that it was a process and that I would have to fax or email her proof of homeschooling status. After all of that is approved, I would pay $20 for the answers. It's been annoying, and I'm only hoping it's worth it!

When I searched, I found People's Education, which has pdf versions of the instructor handbook. They also have a high school edition of the Essential Literary Terms.

However, it looks like you can only get access to the instructor handbook with the purchase of 10 or more student texts. And it's unclear if even then you would get access, since the FAQ indicates that homeschoolers are not supported (I saw this on a FAQ page that I now can't seem to get back to).

It really would be great if PHP could sell the teacher guide.

But I also have to ask. How tough are the exercises? Is the teacher guide necessary or just helpful?

Sorry, I am just now seeing this after it got bumped up.

The Teacher's Guide is very useful to me, because I don't have a lot of experience with the subject (engineering major). The answers are detailed and specific, which is what I need. For example, the TG (an oversized paperback) devotes almost 6 whole pages to answers and explanations for the Exercises on Imagery, Symbolism, and Atmosphere on pp. 92-97 in the text. The TG does not contain copies of the exercises themselves, so it is full of new information.

HTH,

GardenMom