Menu

would the SOTW activity book be too babyish for an 11 year old?

ktgrok

We started using the Kingfisher book, but he's never been exposed to history before so we are backing off and using SOTW more. I'm wondering if the

Activity book would be worth it, or if it would be below him. He hates to color, but loves most hands on stuff.

What do you think?

We started using the Kingfisher book, but he's never been exposed to history before so we are backing off and using SOTW more. I'm wondering if the

Activity book would be worth it, or if it would be below him. He hates to color, but loves most hands on stuff.

What do you think?

I am using it with my almost 10 yo dd and she is gaining a lot from the activities and the map studies. I would use the activities in the AG, just skip the coloring pages. But what 11 yo wouldn't think mummifying a chicken is cool...yep, all in the activity guide!

HTH,

Val

Absolutely not! My son only colored a very few pictures, but enjoyed the literature selections very much (we got them from the library; some as read-alouds, some as readers). The map activities are fairly easy, but went a long way toward developing his geographical skills in a fun, painless way. The comprehension questions are also valuable, and he should find at least some activities that he would enjoy. BTW, as you move up in levels of SOTW, the difficulty level increases somewhat as well.

HTH,

It depends on the level of SOTW you are in, but even the first one has appropriate selections for the 11 yo. Plus there are comprehension questions, and you can still use the Kingfisher (or Usborne) as a supplement, because it's all coordinated by chapter for you. There are enough activities in most chapters that you could find age appropriate ones for him.

would the SOTW activity book be too babyish for an 11 year old?

From my experience, STOW AG has been FABULOUS for my dd10. The narration questions are invaluable as she prepares for logic stage writing (we only recently brought her home from ps). She is now able to easily write a 1/2 page narrative summary with ease...credit the AG for that!!! As far as the suggested reading selections, of the RA titles I am able to find in our library, I give to my dd as IDR. Otherwise, I look up leveled books and give them to her instead. I have found quite a few adult titles at the library that I've read out loud much to the delight of my dc6&10. I found an outstanding copy of the Epic of Glilgamesh that just begged to be read aloud..truly magical!! As for mapping, dd uses the MapTrek maps and lesson plans. I only have her do an AG map when MapTrek does not correlate. Sometimes, dd will even do a coloring page....shhh, don't tell anyone. In addition, dd also reads the UILE, writes 5-10 interesting facts, and I read aloud the DK ency.

All in all STOW and the AG have been HUGE HIT here. My girls CAN'T wait see SWB and Jim Weiss at the hs convention this summer. To them, they're rock stars!! IMO, it really doesn't get better than that :lol:

HTH

I agree with everyone else. Even if you are talking about SOTW 1, there are still activities an 11 yo would enjoy. When we went through volume 1 in first grade I was glad that we would be going through it again with my younger children because then my 11 yo will get to do some of the more difficult activities.