Menu

MEP Reception Copymaster 1

myfatherslily

Okay, on the MEP Reception Copymaster for the Lesson 1, can you hold your hand like they do for #4?? All fingers and thumb up with only the pinky down? Is that physically even possible or is it one of those things where some people can and some can't (like tongue rolling)? Or am I just weird in my complete inability to make that happen?:tongue_smilie:

Hmmm... so maybe if I practice, I could "learn" how? Obviously this is not a skill necessary for using MEP! I'm just intrigued by the possibility. Ha, I don't care to stretch enough to touch my toes, or exercise enough to run across my yard without being out of breath, but I want to be able to put my pinky finger down all by itself. Misplaced priorities perhaps??? lol:)

I can put my pinky about halfway down, more pointing out than down.

I was thinking about trying some MEP, and I was wondering if that gets confusing. We finger count the typical American way. Though I imagine the kids would adapt to using two different finger counting methods better than adults do?

I don't think you're going to be able to do it with practice. It's all about the muscles that you were born with. When you bend your fingers you are using 3 different muscles in your forearm (they pull your fingers like puppets on a string). Your ring finger doesn't have what is called an independent extensor muscle so it must flex along with your pinky. Less than 1 in 20 people have an independent ring finger extensor muscle. If you do have it, than you can bend your pinky down without moving your ring finger (like in the MEP copymaster picture) . Interestingly, some people can have in on one hand, but not the other. I don't have it in either hand (or forearm actually)....I can't move my pinky down without my ring finger also moving down. I also can not role my tongue....neither can my dh. One of our 3 children can. Now the tongue roll is a different story than the pinky/ring finger. The tongue roll is genetic (my oldest dd learned that in school).

I can do it with some effort. My children have no problem, they have very stretchy finger ligaments. They can count fingers the British/European way and the American way.

If the method shown confuses you or your children, just explain that in the UK, people usually count the thumb first. Since you are in the US, you will count the American way. There are only a few lessons that show the finger counting, you could skip the copymaster (or that section of the copymaster) for those lessons.

I question whether if you can't do it's true that you'll just never be able to... I mean, I also used to not be able to part my ring finger from my middle finger and hold it together with my pinky (you know, like Live Long and Prosper...). But then I spent a very bored day in college where I taped them together and left it like that until they would stay. I know, I know... I'm giving myself a glare. But I was pretty young at the time obviously... what I'm wondering is if someone starts working on these things young enough, the muscles will stretch and do it. A friend of mine is double-jointed and she says she can remember the first time she bent her finger all the way back against her hand when she was young - she was sitting there stretching it backwards until it finally went (I know, ewww). She says that part of it is genetics but part of it is that the muscles and joints will do it if stretched to do so young enough.

But... we're all probably too old to fix this issue now. And, um, I have no idea why we would want to.

I can do it with my left hand but not my right. I am right handed and when I try to fold my pinky down my ring finger comes down along with it. If I physically hold back my ring finger I can only bend my pinky a little bit. I do have some limitations of movement in my right hand from a broken wrist/forearm 3 years ago. I have no idea if I could do this with my right hand before I broke it or not.

I can do the Live Long and Prosper with both hands. :D

Interesting! So the real question is why the authors of MEP thought counting like this was a good idea? Even if it's something that can be adapted to over time, why would we bother when there is (what seems to me) an easier way?

If I manage to make it happen, I'll let you all know;) I'm gonna ask my kids if they can. I'll probably just have to settle for the fact that I am a perfectly normal person. I can wiggle my ears separately, though. That will remain my great claim to fame!