Menu

Good ways of dealing with stress?

I am so unbelievable stressed. It is making me literally sick. I've been dizzy and sick to my stomach for about 3 weeks now, but today was the worse. I doesn't help that I drank coffee this morning. For some weird reason I can't handle coffee, not even half a cup. It messes me up-jitteryness, palpitations, etc.) My mom asked me today, "Your face is all red. Why is your face all red, are you sick?" The answer is yes. I am. I can't explain it, just really sick to my stomach and dizzy and like I seriously need to lie down. My sister's going through some terrible things right now and it hurts to see what she has to go through. I can't stand it. I love her, and it just hurts us all. In fact, if you'd pray for her I would really appreciate it.

I'm just wondering, how do you all deal with stress? My body feels like it is in hyper mode right now and I can't seem to relax.

Exercise and fresh air are the first things that come to mind. Are you able to get outside and go for a walk/jog/hike?

Also, I'd avoid caffeine, and make sure you're eating healthy foods and take multivitamin, calcium/magnesium, and fish oil. Are you sleeping okay?

If you're obsessing about your sister's problems, maybe try setting aside a certain time to think about them, and when you think about them at other times, redirect yourself. Find something that can distract/relax you (for me it's playing the keyboard).

Wendi

I suffered a few years ago from panicky like attacks, even ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. There was a LOT going on in my life. Besides praying and not having caffeine, the biggest difference was made when I started exercising. Not for anything other than stress control. Almost 5 years later and if I lay off for more than 2 months I can see how my ability to handle stress (even daily kid stuff) starts going down the tubes.

I used the C25K only because it gave me goals and encouragement for each day, I would say a walk every day would do you good.

I am so unbelievable stressed. It is making me literally sick. I've been dizzy and sick to my stomach for about 3 weeks now, but today was the worse. I doesn't help that I drank coffee this morning. For some weird reason I can't handle coffee, not even half a cup. It messes me up-jitteryness, palpitations, etc.) My mom asked me today, "Your face is all red. Why is your face all red, are you sick?" The answer is yes. I am. I can't explain it, just really sick to my stomach and dizzy and like I seriously need to lie down. My sister's going through some terrible things right now and it hurts to see what she has to go through. I can't stand it. I love her, and it just hurts us all. In fact, if you'd pray for her I would really appreciate it.

I'm just wondering, how do you all deal with stress? My body feels like it is in hyper mode right now and I can't seem to relax.

:grouphug:

I completely relate to what you are describing (other than the stomach). Until last year, I had no idea there were so many physiological reactions to chronic stress/anxiety. I agree with others about exercising. Diaphragmatic breathing can help tremendously. Magnesium supplementation can help, though you have to be cognizant of your calcium to mag ratio. Don't underestimate the restorative power of sleep in diminishing stress.

I will pray for your sister.

:grouphug: I was recently having similar symptoms. A friend recommended light exercise such as walking on a treadmill. (or outside if it's warm enough)

I thought she was crazy! After all, I didn't have time to do everything I needed to...how was I going to make time to take a walk? But I did it anyway -- and it works! ;)

Thanks for the advice. I feel like laying down, but I probably need just the opposite. Tonight I'm going to take her dog to the lake. I try to do it every night. I'll try to run with her. She loves it when my sister runs with her, even though I certainly can't run as far as my sister can, she should have fun anyways. For some reason, even with training several times a week, I've never been able to run/jog more than 1/2 a mile.

I'm not obsessing, it's just that new things come up every day. I don't mean to sound mysterious. It's very personal so I don't want to say anything online about it, but she's a great kid and she's been through so much.

I agree with exercise, eating right, getting plenty of sleep.

I also agree with the idea of planning a certain time to think about and pray about the situation. It will continue to be on your mind, but less so once you've spent a good amount of time praying about it.

Also:

Pamper youself. Spa at home. Hot shower, good smelly lotion, favorite jammies.

When your in those favorite jammies make a cup of herbal tea and curl up with a good book or old black and white movie. Go to bed early. Sleep late.

It WILL help.

TBH, I recently (2 mos ago) took up running, and, for the first time in many years, I finally am in control of stress instead of vice-versa.

I hate to suggest it, b/c it adds one more thing to your plate, but I can't say strongly enough the positive mental benefit running has had for me. Any kind of strong vigorous (sweating, heart pounding) exercise would likely be good -- at least 3x/wk.

For me, running is 'the bomb' at least partly b/c it is so intense that I can think of almost nothing other than surviving for that hour. It clears my mind. I now sleep well. I am more resilient. I haven't wigged out over anything since I started running at the end of August.

Couch-to-5k running plan. Google it!

When I'm sick to my stomach stressed, I clean...REALLY clean. As in I scrub the floors on my hands and knees and use a toothbrush in the corners clean! :tongue_smilie: I should be stressed more often, my house would look a lot better than it does.

I hope you find a solution to help you. :grouphug: For me keeping busy works, whether it be cleaning or exercising or praying or doing some sort of hobby. Keeping my mind on something else for a change helps calm the nerves.

Thanks Pam. I'm actually drinking some chamomile tea right now. I was hoping it would calm me down a little.

What kind of cleanse were you talking about Coastal?

Sorry to be so long answering this...

It was actually a gall bladder cleanse. :tongue_smilie: But I can't believe how good I feel & how much energy I have.

The lady at the health food store told me that most any type of cleanse will do that for you. ;)