Menu

CPO extra goodies

christine in al

Which CPO? Earth, life, physical? Earth so far is super-easy to adapt without schmancy equipment. I think I've spent about $20---I already had two clear Rubbermaid boxes in the basement---on thermometers, sand, rocks, two paint tray liners and such.

Yesterday we did a demonstration about Bernoulli's Principle (moving air has lower pressure, etc) using cheeseballs and bendy straws :D

Life might be a bit harder. We already own a decent kid microscope so I'll have to get or make slides. I'm sure I'll need more stuff, too.

Physical is going to take some work to adapt. I know there are some posters here using it.... :bigear:

I haven't bought anything fro CPO (Frey) but I did buy some clear boxes in place of the geoboxes for earth science. Those would have been nice to have.

I am considering doing the physics next year, but I was very apprehensive about not owning the expensive photogate thing. But ds says if I bought him another light sensor ($20) for his NXT he could do the experiments that require the photogates. I figure that combines some engineering with physics.

We do have to do some compromises on many of our labs. We are currently on a lab in Earth Science that requires the boys to check several weather conditions for 40 days. Instead, we counted back 40 days and used WeatherUnderground to look up the conditions at the same time each day. We will use that data to plot on the graphs (which really is the skill I'm after).

I really wanted to do the cheeseball Bernoulli experiment, but dh and I walked all over Wegmans and could not find a container of cheeseballs anywhere. I thought maybe they don't make them anymore. We ended up using the blow dryer and a ping-pong ball.

We've been working through Physical without buying a lot of stuff. We decided not to spring for the photogates and rigged up a board and used a timer. We've been able to have lots of discussions about causes for error in experiments! We also managed to build our own "atom building game" using a piece of foam core and colored pieces from another game. We made our own "radioactive game cards" by reading the lab book directions and some trial and error. So far, so good. We've done about 80% of the experiments so far. My older daughter in high school chemistry is using the CK101 Lab Paq and so my younger can sit in on those experiements as well.

It's certainly a LOT more productive than our first go-round with chemistry when we used the cheapo microchemistry kit recommended in the WTM. That was a dismal failure in my opinion, especially the instructions that were hardly in English!

I splurged for the Atom Building Game, but keep in mind that I have 3 children to cycle it through. My dd said this game really helped cement for her the structure and workings of the atom, plus it was fun to play. My two younger ds always enjoyed joining in and "got" the concepts. I could never justify the expense of any of the equipment.

With physics, it would have been great to have the phototimer to get accurate time measurements, but it is VERY expensive.. We always just used a stopwatch.