Menu

Guess how much we spent on gas?

It costs me $60 to fill my tank, and my car is a Honda Accord, not exactly a gas guzzler. I'm thankful that DH doesn't drive far to work, and I just drive around town, so we aren't having to get gas that often.

But still, even if I fill my car every other week or so, $60 each time is a huge hit for us. I fully expect our area (northern Los Angeles county) will hit $4.00 within a month or so.

Michelle T

One of the things that makes up for our move (we moved from out in the country to right in the middle of a large city) is the cost of gas. We pay a few hundred more per month for this house but we make up for it in that fact that we don't need much gas. We bike, walk, or occasionally take the bus for going most places.

That must really hurt!

I just looked and so far in our van this month we've spent 45 and last month it was just under $100.00 now last month dh spent about 239 and so far this month it's been $58.00 He drives a lot more since he's self employed and can deduct his mileage, but still....

Kristine

if/when the price comes down some, we'll think we're getting a bargain. I think we're all going to have to adjust our thinking and budgets so we can pay for this precious commodity. I'm so glad we moved closer to the city 18 months ago. We can walk to the grocery store, library, etc.

Our van costs about $100 to fill, and we only get 8-10miles per gallon..yikes we are hibernating this summer. Maybe we'll get to church. My husband is going to try to cycle(bike) to work. he likes to but we are in a slightly mountainous area for NH.

j'marie

My dh has a 40 minute commute each way every day to work so he spends anywhere between $350-$400 a month on gas. My dc and I have become hermits because of gas prices, and lack of finances in general, so I usually only put $15-$20 of gas in our van about every couple of weeks. My gas tank is constantly on empty. *sigh* That'll get us a couple of trips to the grocery store and a couple of trips to the library. Now that it's getting nice outside it's going to be harder to stay home but we just can't afford the gas to go anywhere.

spend more time at home, of course, so the house flows more smoothly. But the other thing is that we actually get excited when we get to GO SOMEWHERE now, LOL! I can feel the "energy" pumping from the minute I get out of bed if the kids know we're going on errand, visit friends or a field trip that day. We do everything in one trip to town now, mostly once a week, but sometimes two. When we see friends now, we really appreciate the time we have with them.

My stomach has been turning as I have kept track of this expense all month.

My husband works about 45 miles away. He loves his company, and he has an incredible boss. His job pays well and is secure. He is going to ask his boss if he can work 4 days 10 hours a day. That would cut 20% of his gas. (This would be great, but it is unlikely to occur!)

My husband is also purchasing an older honda accord from a co-worker who is just upgrading his vehicle.

We have decided to sell his larger vehicle which seats 8. We are keeping my suburban for now. I only drive around town, and I am reducing the miles. Once a month I need to drive into a larger city. I am working to organize all trips in order to drive less. I average 13.5 miles per gallon.

In March, my husband and I decided that we were going to have to make some changes.

It has not been uncommon for our gas budget to be between $800.00 and $900.00 a month.

I look forward to cutting those amounts in half. :iagree:

My stomach has been turning as I have kept track of this expense all month.

My husband works about 45 miles away. He loves his company, and he has an incredible boss. His job pays well and is secure. He is going to ask his boss if he can work 4 days 10 hours a day. That would cut 20% of his gas. (This would be great, but it is unlikely to occur!)

My husband is also purchasing an older honda accord from a co-worker who is just upgrading his vehicle.

We have decided to sell his larger vehicle which seats 8. We are keeping my suburban for now. I only drive around town, and I am reducing the miles. Once a month I need to drive into a larger city. I am working to organize all trips in order to drive less. I average 13.5 miles per gallon.

In March, my husband and I decided that we were going to have to make some changes.

It has not been uncommon for our gas budget to be between $800.00 and $900.00 a month.

I look forward to cutting those amounts in half. :iagree:

I am so glad that we traded off both of our cars within the last year. I went from 14 mpg to 26 and my dh went from 18 to 27-30 mpg. It really has helped our gas bill and was so worth it!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We drive Prius' and I am soooo glad! DH is currently getting 45 mpg and I am getting about 35. We are spending about $150/mo right now, and I don't drive much at all. Everyplace I go is within 10 miles of our house, except grandma's house on Friday (which is a total waste of gas for me...I drive 15 miles drop the kids off, and then turn around and come right back home....but that is a whole different story...).