Menu

Quarter Mile Math...good way to solidify math facts?

Momof3Maidens

We use Quarter Mile but only after they have mastered the concept in the math books.

My kids at 5-6 years of age sometimes had to learn on flash cards first then used quarter mile after they had gotten some confidence. I'm not sure if it was the electronic format or them needing more mom help to pick which facts they needed extra time on.

Once age 7 they needed very little help and quarter mile has kept all those multiple skills finely tuned. :)

we personally had better luck with Timz attack. The first level is free. I paid the 30$ for the second level as a reward for completing the first level. Since then, my son has been inspired to ask for jobs to earn money to buy the 10$ levels. Who would think he would want to buy a math game?

My son also had trouble with the pressure of time and need to 'win' in 'quarter mile'. It did not go well. At all.

Only if your child enjoys performing under pressure and is motivated to win.

If your child freaks out under pressure, this will freak him out. Ask me how I know. :(

:iagree:

If your child does not do well in timed, pressure situations, stay FAR, FAR AWAY from QMM. Just like Cindyg...ask me how I know. :glare:

If, on the other hand, they love the added pressure and it makes them compete, it's a great program.

Well....seems like it boils down to whether or not your child does well performing under pressure.

Actually, she seems to do pretty good with it. I give her written math drills and she does better if I give her a time limit versus no time limit. If I don't give her a time frame, she just doddles and takes her time. She gets much faster (although does freak out sometimes, just depends on the day) if there is a time restraint. We've done the free demo that they offer and she seems to do okay with it.

I think I may give it a try although I think I'll check out the Flashmaster and Timz Attack first.

Thanks so much everyone!

Only if your child enjoys performing under pressure and is motivated to win.

If your child freaks out under pressure, this will freak him out. Ask me how I know. :(

:iagree::iagree:

QMM was one of the few programs/materials that was a complete bomb at my house. You are racing against your own best times, so if the kid does a set of facts a few times one day/week. . . then comes back a week or two later, it's hard to beat. . . My kids hated it b/c they were always losing.

I prefer triangle flash cards, wrap-its, and random worksheets. Calculadders is fine as well.