Menu

What is the best way to preserve chives?

I don't have a dehydrator so I've never tried it. I usually just chop them up and freeze them. Seems to work well. They're not quite as green as they would be if they were fresh, of course, but they still add flavor and look nice.

Anne

We were serious chive people growing up. Dad tried to preserve them in various ways, he found that freezing them when fresh and green brought out a better flavor.

He would just cut them up so they were ready to use and put them in a container in the freezer. They do last quite a long time in the freezer.

Recently, I read that putting them into kind of an ice cube might be better for protecting them against freezer burn.

I tend to freeze chives too. For herbs in general, I simply put then on a colander to let air circulate and set them on a shelf in the kitchen for a few days. This is the method we use at the herbalist's practice I worked with for years too. Heat, such as oven or dehydrator, can cause some loss of flavor, color and potency she said.

Recently, I read that putting them into kind of an ice cube might be better for protecting them against freezer burn.

Yes, I recall reading this in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. I *think* (I'd have to go look to be sure) they recommended boiling them in a little water for a short bit, allowing to cool, freezing in an ice cube tray, taking the ice out and putting them in freezer bags to store.

Yes, I recall reading this in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. I *think* (I'd have to go look to be sure) they recommended boiling them in a little water for a short bit, allowing to cool, freezing in an ice cube tray, taking the ice out and putting them in freezer bags to store.

blanching??? boil maybe 1 min then throw in ice water then freeze?