Menu

Baby question...has anyone tried to choose

the gender of their baby? I don't mean anything like gender selection, more like doing anything to tip the scale one way or another. I have been reading online about basal body temperature, positions, times of ovulation, etc. We are seriously contemplating another baby in the near (immediate) future, and would love to tip it to the boy side. Of course, if we get a girl that's perfectly fine as well.

Any hints, advice, websites, book recommendations would be great. Some of the stuff I have been reading is so convoluted it is difficult to decipher.

My opinion is that Shettles is most likely to work. Based on personal experience, yep. Definitely. We didn't deliberately 'aim' for one sex or the other at any point but once I had a definite ovulation date established, I could predict the sex correctly.

Shettles' book is pretty clear, but to sum, for a boy, you want to aim for as close to ovulation as possible.

My opinion is that Shettles is most likely to work. Based on personal experience, yep. Definitely. We didn't deliberately 'aim' for one sex or the other at any point but once I had a definite ovulation date established, I could predict the sex correctly.

Shettles' book is pretty clear, but to sum, for a boy, you want to aim for as close to ovulation as possible.

Successfully used Shettles' method to conceive a girl. Didn't intentionally use a method for my two boys, but I know they were conceived on my ovulation date, so it supports Shettles' theories.

We successfully used the Shettles method to conceive a boy. A book I really recommend for every woman is "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"

here on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288332962&sr=8-1

We've been using this for family planning and when we were ready to conceive we used the Shettles method via this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Choose-Sex-Your-Baby/dp/0767926102/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288333029&sr=1-1

All though I have the earlier version of this book that I picked up at a used book store.

The specific things I did, besides timing to ovulation was: robitussin to thin mucus (the original stuff), and pre-seed: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Seed-Personal-Lubricant-Multi-use-Tube/dp/B001DNIMH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288333130&sr=8-1

We didn't use any douches.

Editing to add: I think it is really important to know your cycle. I think you should definitely start with Taking Charge of Your Fertility to really know your own body. This book was SO empowering to me in regards to knowing what was going on in my body and understanding everything. I mean, you'd think after years of being taught puberty and such in school you'd know your body but seriously I was amazed and miffed at the same time. I wish it was standard teaching for girls.

Edited by ReidFamily

We used the Shettles method while TTC our second and third babies, aiming for a girl.

We got boys, both times.

I am now convinced that my husband doesn't make female sperm. :lol:

And there might be some truth to that. I can't reference the story, but you could probably google it. I read a while back that some men are genetically predisposed to making more male or female sperm. There are a LOT of boys in DH's family, so I really do believe there's something to that.

(Edited to add that if he were up for it, I'd give trying for a girl ONE more try! Cause even though I'd love to have a daughter, if I ended up with another son, that would be cool, too.)

Edited by Lilymax