Menu

a year and a half sabbatical.

christine in al

So, I'm considering putting my 10 and 8 year old in the local , small Montesorri school. moslty as a break for us all and to hopefully get them back loving learning. maybe at Christmas and through next year, then back hom for darling son for 7th grade ( unless he is testing fabuously , then he can stay I recon)

I am frequenlty tired and so our work has become a slog to " get it done" there is no joy of discovery. The house and the school room are horrible disorderly piles . not pleasant. ds is saying , " school isn't fun". Because of my energy and personality, I'm not sure I can make it fun. I truly do just want to " get it done"

The teacher says ds 10, can bring his Chalkdust Basic math and a video player and that can be his math ( He wants to go to the state Math and Sceince school at grade 10, so we have to stay on a pretty tight math schedule if he is to get in.) I assume he will prtty much be on his own for math though if that's the program I want to use.

I would after school Latin and piano teacher says she will make afternoon slots for them.

I am planning to call the teacher back tomorrow to ask again about academic rigour .. I'm trying to get classical material in a Montesorri setting. something is going to have to give. one of those things is control on my part.

Has anyone else put kids in a school setting for a limited time, for a sabbatical for everyone?

Any thoughts,

I know this is mostly thinking out loud, but wow, I value this community.

~Christine in al

Maybe I shouldn't even respond to this thread, but I would be leary of Montessori schools. I put my son in for a month last year, simply because he had been on the waiting list for a year, and I figured I would give it a try. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either. The "teacher" NEVER knew anything that my son was doing or had done for that day. He is not a self-paced kind of kid, and maybe that is where the downfall was for him, but he did almost next to nothing while he was there. He went from doing 30-50 problems a day with Horizons, to 10 max at school. They claimed that he was just getting used to the materials, but he told me that is all he "had to do". So, for me, it was more stressful thinking that he was losing ground. My son is an avid reader and he was absolutely BORED with the work they were giving him. At that time he was a 3rd grader reading around a 4.6 level and they had him started at 2nd grade. It was only the last week (before I pulled him), that they agreed to move him up to 3rd grade in reading. I just felt overall, there was a lack of accountability for everyone involved. I felt that my son would skate by doing lower level work and no one would be pushing him to do his BEST. I may not be the best teacher all the time, but I am, at least, going to push him to the limits so he can achieve all that he is destined to, kwim?

Maybe you wouldn't have that same problem. I would certainly look into utilizing a co-op if you have one available. Maybe just getting out of the house for a few subjects would make everyone feel better. But, if you really feel like it is the best thing for everyone (kids and mama), I say do it and don't worry about the affects. A happy mama makes a happy family!:grouphug:

Irishmommy,

Those are my concerns too. Will he be academically challenged? ( spelling?)

Academics are my only concern. I am planning to ring the head teacher tomorrow and your comments have helped me jell some questions about assessment, etc.

She says they don't test. I get that, but how do you know where to place them in spelling for instance?

~c.

Let me start with, home schooling isn't for everyone. If you really feel a better environment will serve your family, then release yourself, guilt free.

Now, the home schooler in me must say...perhaps you're doing too much and you need a quick break to avoid burn out. We school 7weeks on, 1 off to avoid just that. The break honestly makes all the difference in our world. It keeps me ready to teach with joy and allows the dc to take a break from our rigorous workload.

I also make sure we get plenty of hands on for history and science. It brings a level of fun in our week. School isn't always fun...just not gonna happen, but we can enjoy some things.

I also use some computer drill w/ games to lighten the day.

Take a day off on occasion to tidy the piles. We have plenty of those for sure. It happens to the best of us.

I know there are some who kind of rotate between hsing and out of home schooling...I honestly don't get it...and hey, that's okay. I just feel like I'd be spending too much time getting back to where I want us to be and I don't relinquish educational control easily. Can you?

Best wishes in a wise decision.

Hi Christine! I am in Alabama as well and would love more info on the math/sci school your kids are interested in. My ds is a total math geek and this sounds like something right up his alley! ;)

Also, if y'all are in b'ham we would love to get together to hang out! DS is 9, almost 10 & loves meeting new friends!! I'd also love to meet another local hs'ing mom!! :)

As for your delimma (sp?), I agree with the others--I think y'all need a break!

Whether that is a week or so off, or a true sabbatical, only you will know because it's YOUR situation/decision. You will do what's best for your family, I am sure! I have only heard great things about the 3 montessori schools in b'ham! :)

I took a 6month break though, putting my ds in a small Montessori for 6 months. Socially it was good for him and we loved the gardening, crafts, outdoor classroom, etc... I love MOntessori in the primary years, still not really sure how I feel about it in the elementary years, UNLESS you're going to stick with it as long as you can. But I think the time there was well spent.

What my son's school DID do for him, the pros, were : instill pleasure reading love- they had 30 min quiet reading time, he learned a love of gardening, he improved his cursive, and began to see Math a bit clearer.

The cons were: the lack of challenging activities. He found the grammar boxes easy, spelling easy, and math not challenging enough. Poor history, great geography.

BUT.. I needed the mini mental holiday so,did he learn a not? Probably not. Did we recharge our "homeschool love" batteries? DEFINITELY.

The most important thing for me was that my child was in a loving enviornment, check. It was important he fit into the classroom well -check. It was equally important that he be exposed to anything other than a dull classroom -check check.

Hope you find the same.

See I think Montessori in the early years totally makes sense too, but for elementary school, it just wasn't cutting it for my son. I give him about an hour a day of reading, so he absolutely adores reading, but he just wasn't being challenged in the other areas. Oh, and he DEF. was NOT in a loving environment. I'm not even sure how much contact he actually had with the teacher. He was in an imersion program, which I thought would be totally great, but he got clearer instructions with the Spanish teacher than he did with the English teacher (who always sent him to the aide, who did not speak English and could not give him proper instructions). So, if he had been in the Spanish teacher's "homeroom" I think he'd have done a bit better. Anyway, I'm sure that all of these things aren't the norm, just were our experience. I was VERY concerned on how he'd be issued grades. It didn't seem really clear cut to me and I was worried he'd get labled as an underachiever since he's not a self-motivator. So, maybe you can ask specific questions about those areas (which it sounds like you already are planning on doing).

Blessings on your decision.

Oh, I wanted to add that I met a flight student (Navy - my dh works with training pilots) who was homeschooled and he said that he was pulled out of school in 7th grade and they just did "Equine" science for a year - as in, everything to do with the biology of/raising/caring for/buying/selling horses. He said it was the best year he ever had. He also said that it was just what he needed for that year of maturity. He wasn't ready to sit in a classroom and read or study. He needed to be outside working off some of that teenage angst. After that year, I think they buckled down with the "academics" and he went on to attend the Naval Academy and now has a very successful career in the Navy. All of this to say, if you want to light the fire under your kids again, maybe hit less of the "academics" and more of the life skills or whatever skills they might be interested in. Just a thought. Might help even if you do put them in school.

In the end, you know what is best for your family, so do that!:)

hey, thanks for the replies.

I'm glad to hear you've done this and that it worked.

And the year of Equine Science . wow It's nice to be reminded that there are so many ways to be in the world.

my gut says, spring in this particualar school setting ( I hear ya, Irishmommy) will benefit them in ways I can't provide. and benefit me.

but I probably want them back home next year.

They did Montesorri ages 3-5 and it was magical. I am wondering about content for upper elementary/middle.

My fantasy school has classical content offered in a Montesorri format. hmm, maybe being only a parent and observing for a few months will help me accomplish that for next year. ( which I am seriosly thinking of scheduling 7 on 1 off, thanks)

Thanks again for all of y'all's input and support for a thoughtful decision

~Christine in al

I love the Montessori approach to education. My kids had a great experience in a Montessori elementary school and if there was anything like that here in our new town, I wouldn't consider homeschooling at all. The academics was strong... kids were working at their own pace - sometimes individually, sometimes with a classmate and sometimes with the whole-class. There was no fear of real academic content -- they were learning biology and chemistry and history and music and art along with math and grammar.

But... any school can put the word "Montessori" in their name if they think it'll attract people to their school. If the teachers are AMS or AMI certified, it's probably pretty authentically Montessori. As with any school, I'd spend some time in the classroom and see if you like what is going on.

I love the Montessori approach to education. My kids had a great experience in a Montessori elementary school and if there was anything like that here in our new town, I wouldn't consider homeschooling at all. The academics was strong... kids were working at their own pace - sometimes individually, sometimes with a classmate and sometimes with the whole-class. There was no fear of real academic content -- they were learning biology and chemistry and history and music and art along with math and grammar.

But... any school can put the word "Montessori" in their name if they think it'll attract people to their school. If the teachers are AMS or AMI certified, it's probably pretty authentically Montessori. As with any school, I'd spend some time in the classroom and see if you like what is going on.

:iagree:I never sent my kids to Montessori, but I was a Montessori kid, and it was amazing and formative for me (unlike the public school education that followed my Montessori years lol).