Menu

How many of us have gone from hsing to ps, and back to hsing?

I did. Actually I started out ps but switched to hs when we landed in a horrid district. Dd's 2nd grade teacher wanted to put her back to 1st grade because she turned 7 the same day one of her classmates turned 8. Her teacher said she was bringing down the self esteem of the class because she was younger and not struggling in math as much as the other students. She was going to get her way too. So I pulled both dc.

We moved and I heard the school district was wonderful. They lied. So we're hs'ing for good now.

I did. I took my ds out of middle school. He wanted to return to high school so I put him in for a year and a half. It was a miserable failure. I brought him home, homeschoole the rest of the semester, enrolled him in CC classes starting the next semester and continued to homeschool + CC for foreign language and science until he graduated homeschool. He is now a very happy Jr. double majoring in International Relations and Japanese at an American university in Tokyo.

PS was never the appropriate place for him. He is extremely tall, geeky, and bright. He stood out in every way possible in public school. But the same qualities are helping him to succeed in a university. His professors love him.

Middle dd went to PS for K--great year. The next year we NEEDED to pull her sister out to HS so she started HSing too.

In 4th grade we moved to the 'boonies' and she was lonely (no support groups of any kind in driving distance)--so we sent her to PS for the last semester---she was bored stiff and begged to come home for 5th.

5th grade brought puberty--and then her thyroid crashed and she became VERY oppositional (and abusive towards me). DH insisted she go back to PS. She did GREAT! She joined the band and found her niche very early on. She was an honors student and 'teacher's pet'. (home life was still yucky)

She stayed in PS through the first 2 weeks of 10th grade---her thyroid levels were unstable again and she was having huge anxiety attacks and was suicidal... we prefer our children alive--so we brought her back home.

It has been TERRIBLE and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to homeschool this girl--it has literally sucked the life out of me... She is still oppositional--but not to the abusive extent she was... but she just doesn't put any effort into her homeschool classes. Luckily for her she takes 2 classes each semester at the CC and she has a 4.0 grade average--and is again a 'teacher's pet' of sorts (great comments from her professors). This has covered most of her core high school classes and her first year of college too!

DD's plan was to stay at home next year (she is a Sr this year) and attend the CC full time then transfer... She went on a college visit with DH last weekend and now we are scrambling to get her ready to attend college next fall AWAY FROM HOME... DH and I are sure this is best for our family--even though it will be a HUGE financial burden (we will have to pay for it or she will have huge student loans...).

--

Our oldest dd was in PS for K and 1 (bad bad bad 1st grade teacher) I pulled her out and HSed (rather de-schooled) for the second half of 1st. DD repeated 1st at a private school then returned to PS for 2nd--but this time she had evident learning issues (high IQ so no appropriate placement --dd is in the autistic spectrum and this was before this was actively diagnosed). DD was homeschooled 3rd grade-graduation and is currently an HONORS student at a CC majoring in photography (a well known photography school recently merged with our CC and the program has a higher rating than the photography schools at any state university--it is a 3yr program instead of 4).

We homeschool/public school/private school on an individual basis--what is best for that child and our family at that time.

Our youngest attends the local PS--she is in 3rd grade--and has had excellent teachers and is doing great... next year we will once again evaluate her placement--in our district 4th and 5th are the weakest as far as decent teachers go. With her middle sister gone away to college, homeschool will once again be a possibility... but most likely she will attend high school at the PS.