Menu

Help me plan Saturday dinner

Could everyone help me brainstorm about a menu for a dinner I am hosting Saturday night? It consists of 7 adults and 3 kids (all family). They are all coming to our house for dinner prior to trick or treat and the kids will then go out trick or treating with an adult or two. I would like something casual and not necessarily a sit down dinner that includes some things to continue to snack on etc throughout the evening. I had the idea to do mexican food or sloppy joes/pulled pork but any ideas to flesh those out or other ideas entirely would be helpful.

If you decide you want to do something like pulled pork sandwiches (or bbq brisket in the crockpot), you could make a big bowl of German-style potato salad (vinaigrette-based dressing instead of mayo-based). That's something you could leave out without worrying much about it. Put out some veggies, maybe some chopped apples with caramel dipping sauce (since it is the season).

I've made these Italian sandwiches a few times this fall, as we were getting tired of the same old stuff. They're easy and the kids love them.

Hearty Italian Sandwiches (Crock Pot)

1 ½ pounds ground beef, browned & drained

1 ½ pound bulk mild Italian sausage, browned and drained

2 large onions, chopped ( I reduce amount to taste)

2 large yellow peppers, chopped

2 large red peppers, chopped

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

thin Monterey Jack cheese slices

dill pickle chips (optional)

8 sandwich rolls

Place one third onions and pppers in slow cooker. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cover. Cook on low 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.

With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup mixture on each roll. Top with cheese and dill pickle slices.