Menu

Want to watch Netflix Streaming on TV - should I buy a Roku or Blu-Ray player?

I was thinking of getting a blu-ray player because our old DVD player is dying anyway and I could use it to watch the Netflix Instant Streaming. I really have no interest in using blu-ray discs and our TV is around 20 years old so no HD or anything anyway. Or should I just get the Roku player? will they both work with an old TV? Will the blu-ray play all our DVDs?

Thanks!

Another vote for Blu-Ray. We use it for Netflix, Pandora (love this), and youtube. DH is watching the Monty Python parrot skit on the Blu-Ray as I type. :)

Ours doesn't do Hulu. That would be nice.

Oh, and we do use it for DVDs as well. It's our only DVD player, in fact. We only have a few Blu-Ray movies.

Thanks everyone. We have also considered a Wii, have to look more into the price for that, dh doesn't really want to get a game system so maybe we could have him try one out and see if he likes it. It sounds like there would be a lot of active games that would be fun in the winter.

Thanks everyone. We have also considered a Wii, have to look more into the price for that, dh doesn't really want to get a game system so maybe we could have him try one out and see if he likes it. It sounds like there would be a lot of active games that would be fun in the winter.

PlayStation 3 (which we have) and Xbox also streamline Netflix without disks.

Someone needs to say it-Apple TV! They have just come out with a new box that will stream Netflix and other things wirelessly. This I have and it works like a charm.

But if you need a new DVD player anyway the Blu-Ray may be the smartest option. Some do play standard DVDs just ask when you buy or read some Amazon reviews. I don't own one so I can't really advise about choice.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst