Menu

Looking for a good potato soup recipe

Here's a really easy one that always gets raves. I don't measure anything, but here are the ingredients:

Potatoes

Chicken broth

Onion

Garlic

half&half or milk

Salt & Pepper

Cilantro

In a soup pot, saute your onion and garlic in olive oil, until tender. Add broth and potato, salt and pepper until potatoes are tender. Add milk and chopped cilantro and simmer for additional 5 minutes.

Very simple, done in less than an hour.

I sometimes omit the cilantro and, during the saute phase, add dried thyme and a small amount of crushed red pepper.

This is my version of potato soup

6 potatoes

1-1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese

1 cup of sour cream

1/2 pound bacon diced and cooked--I use the grease too

Sautee'd onions (optional)

Milk, cream or chicken broth to thin

bake the potatoes then spoon the meat into a pot. Add everything else, stir add milk or cream till its to your desired consistancy. I like a thick soup so I only use about a cup. I also like mine really creamy so I use 2/3 cream and the rest milk.

This is by no means a healthy soup but one of my favorites.:001_smile:

I've got lots of potatoes, and no tried-and-true potato soup recipe. Any suggestions are appreciated! :001_smile:

If you've got an overabundance of potatoes, you could always make the base (you know; the broth, veggies, seasoning...) and freeze it in appropriately sized portions for you family. Then when you want the soup, thaw one of the portions and make the cream and/or cheese concoction to add.

Here are some I have. I usually make the first one the most.

Hearty Potato Soup

6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced I used a bunch of smaller ones I think about 12

2 carrots, diced

6 celery ribs, diced I only used 2 because they weren’t too good but I’ll use more next time

I used Chicken Broth enough to cover things

1 onion, chopped

6 T butter only used 4 but next time I’ll use the 6

6T flour same as above

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 1/2 c. milk I used a can of evaporated milk and then added a bit more regular milk

I sautéed the onion and celery and carrots in butter in the pot. Then I added the chicken broth and then the chopped potatoes. And cooked until the veggies were tender.

Then I drained the liquid into a cup to use later. Dumped the potatoes into a bowl and smashed them up a bit to make smooth.

In the same kettle, sauté more onion in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. I then added more milk to make it thinner. I could have added both more liquid to the original cooking or more milk.

I did buy a turnip but I didn’t add it to that this time. Maybe next time.

Would it change the taste?

Hearty Potato Soup

6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced

2 carrots, diced

6 celery ribs, diced

2 qts. water

1 onion, chopped

6 T butter

6T flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 1/2 c. milk

In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.

In the same kettle, saute onion in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency.

Potato Soup

1 t. margarine

1 large onion, chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

5 c. chicken stock or broth

1 1/2 lb. potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes

1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

1/4 c. grated cheddar

1/4 t. ground white pepper

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine. Add the onion and celery and saute, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the stock or broth and potatoes, increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the chopped parsley, stir to mix well and let stand for 5 minutes. Strain the soup, reserving the liquid, and transfer the vegetables to a food processor or blender. Add 1 cup of the reserved liquid to the mixture and blend until smooth. In the same saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the puree, remaining reserved liquid, cheese and pepper. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Serve.

Notes: Leave the peels on the potatoes!! When it's time to strain, I just use a slotted spoon to scoop the veggies into the blender, then transfer the blended soup into a bowl. Once it's all been pureed, then I dump it back in the pot for heating with the cheese and pepper.

Chunky Potato Soup

6 c. cubed peeled potatoes

5 c. water

2 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. chopped celery

1/2 c. thinly sliced carrots

1/4 c. butter or margarine

4 t. chicken bouillon granules

2 t. salt

1/4 t. pepper

1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

3 T.. chopped fresh parsely

snipped chives, optional

In a large slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on high 7-8 hours or until the veggies are tender. Add milk and parsley; mix well. Cover and cook 30-60 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with chives, if desired.

Mmmm. Potato leek soup

Since I never have leeks on hand I use onion. And nothing is really exact since the recipe is in my head

1 medium onion thinly sliced into rings (if you do use leeks use 2 with dark green sections removed)

1/2 stick of butter

3-4 potatoes peeled and chopped to bite-size pieces

2 cups of water

1/4 cup flour

milk

salt

pepper

Saute the onion in the butter until tender in soup pot. Add potatoes and water. Cover. Cook on medium-high until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Mix flour with about 1/4 cup milk until flour is incorporated. Stir some hot potatoes into the flour mix then pour it all into the potatoes and onions stiring well. Mixture will thicken. Add more milk until soup is desired consistency. Season to taste.

A small squirt of Dijon mustard and a dollop of sour cream add a good flavor.