Menu

Please explain why and how you have to change-up exercise routines, please!

I've read that if you do the same exercise routines all the time your body gets used to it and it doesn't work as well for your body. How does that work? Does that still apply to a 45 min. exercise tape where there is interval training etc? What if you alternate work-outs every other day? If you do take a break, how long before you can go back to your old routine?

I think that once your body becomes so accustomed to doing a given activity, it becomes too easy for your body, and your body just doesn't have to work as hard at it/uses less energy on it, and therefore, it becomes less effective. You have to sort of keep your body guessing and challenging it in new ways that it doesn't "expect."

Every month or two or three you should probably switch to something totally different or add in new moves or whatever.

I try to change up my workout routine every 6 weeks. I definitely feel it more when using a new routine v. one my body has become accustomed to. It does apply to interval workouts. I usually alternate a day of interval training with a day of straight aerobic activity followed by strength training. I still change up my routine.

I actually dvr workout routines to do off of the fitness channel. I have also ordered various programs from Netflix. Is anything like that an option? Does your library have fitness dvds?

There are quite a few offered online. Check out some of the free podcasts on itunes; you can watch them on your computer if you don't have an ipod. I think Fitness Magazine's site has some workouts too.

After 9 weeks on the same routine (but one that was hard for me so I kept adding to it at first) I am now doing some that I got from the library. I just wasn't sure how long I needed to rely on the library before I could go back to my own (which so far I like better than the ones I've gotten from the library).

What were you doing on your own? You could do the same routine, changing it only slightly.

Were you doing tricep kickbacks before? Try tricep dips instead.

Would that sort of a change work better for you?

What were you doing on your own? You could do the same routine, changing it only slightly.

Were you doing tricep kickbacks before? Try tricep dips instead.

Would that sort of a change work better for you?

Hmm. I don't think I know enough about exercising to know what and how to change it. I've only started exercising religiously 14 weeks ago after avoiding it for over 40 years;) I was doing Denise Austin's Ultimate Fat Burner which is a mix of interval/circuit training, weights, steps and yoga.

Hmm. I don't think I know enough about exercising to know what and how to change it. I've only started exercising religiously 14 weeks ago after avoiding it for over 40 years;) I was doing Denise Austin's Ultimate Fat Burner which is a mix of interval/circuit training, weights, steps and yoga.

Honestly, Jean? It's better to have a okay routine that you DO, than the best routine that you don't do.

Absolutely.

I find I have to change at least a little bit of what I do regularly because I start to get bored. And if I get bored I'm more likely to skip.

I'm the same way. I DVR tons of different workout shows, do strength training with dh, run outside, walk on the treadmill, play tennis with dh, I do different things all the time.:tongue_smilie:

Honestly, Jean? It's better to have a okay routine that you DO, than the best routine that you don't do.

True!

Absolutely.

I find I have to change at least a little bit of what I do regularly because I start to get bored. And if I get bored I'm more likely to skip.

Yes, I was getting a bit bored. But I don't want to exchange boredom for excruciating so I have to choose wisely.;)

I think that once your body becomes so accustomed to doing a given activity, it becomes too easy for your body, and your body just doesn't have to work as hard at it/uses less energy on it, and therefore, it becomes less effective. You have to sort of keep your body guessing and challenging it in new ways that it doesn't "expect."

This is the reason my gym schedules different classes during the same time slot. The trainers/instructors are adamant that a varied routine gets the best results.