Menu

Read aloud suggestions please? I have a

Jayne J

7yo boy and a 5 yo girl and I like to read to both of them from slightly more challenging books during one of our read aloud times. We've read Charlotte's Web, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, (and sequels) Henry Huggins (and sequels), Beowulf, Pippi Longstocking (and sequel). I'm running into the "girl book/boy book" problem. Ds likes adventure, swashbuckling, warriors, and monsters, (loooved Beowulf), while dd is more girly and is uninterested in these (hated Beowulf).

Any suggestions for one book that has is all? Adventure and princesses, swashbuckling pirate queens? Help!

My boys are really enjoying Louisa May Alcott's books.

We are reading 'Little Men'. I thought about starting with 'Little Women' as it's first in the series, but didn't think they'd be interested. DH said he found an old movie made from Little Women and they were glued to it. Now they are asking me to read that one.

Also, I'd like to read 'Eight Cousins' also by Alcott, and I think both a boy and girl would enjoy that one.

What about the Narnia series?

Tale of Despereaux? My dd's really liked it this one.

We're listening to "The Rescuers" right now, which is...ok...but would be good for a girl/boy. The storyline seems to be picking up, so we'll see. So far, there is a strong female protagonist (albeit a mouse) who finds a male pirate mouse to help her in her quest.:001_smile:

Our boy and girl both enjoyed the Little House books (Farmer Boy was DS's favorite). The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is also fabulous as a read aloud...really anything by Kate DiCamillo. Despereaux and Winn Dixie were both great.

We are currently reading The Secret Garden, which both are enjoying, despite it being a traditionally "girl" book. DS is 8 and begs for another chapter after each one.

The Trumpet of the Swan

Just So Stories

The Chronicles of Narnia

My Father's Dragon (and sequels)

The Dragon Rider

That's just a few. Check out Jim Trelease's book "The Read Aloud Handbook" for great suggestions. It's my go-to resource for that kind of thing.

Have fun!

I would go funny because boys and girls both like that. Maybe start with Roald Dahl. Also, Arabel's Raven by Joan Aiken was a recent read aloud we really loved and was also very funny. You said you had done Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, but how about Mr. Popper's Penguins? And it's more of a boy book, but how about Homer Price - that's funny.

I second the Despereaux suggestion and The Borrrowers.

Also, maybe go with fantasy. How about Half-Magic by Edward Eager - boys and girls, with very different ideas of what makes a fun wish. Maybe some E. Nesbit? Also, Cornelia Funke has been a hit in our house - how about Igraine the Brave and Dragonrider - both might appeal to both kids. Some of her other stuff might be a little much for the 5 yo though. Maybe even the Spiderwick books (a good balance between boys and girls...) - though some books are best left for kids to read themselves and that might be one of them.

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter (by Astrid Lingren, who wrote the Pippi books)

The Wizard of Oz

The Jungle Book

Dr. Doolittle books

Black Beauty

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Nurse Matilda

James & the Giant Peach (and other Roald Dahl books)

The Tale of Desperaux

Five Children and It

The Railway Children

Emily's Runaway Imagination

Thank you all so much--I knew you could help!

How could I forget Despereaux? We've read it. Three times. I had to hide it because Mig's Cockney accent finally broke me. Gor!:lol:

I am off to see what my library has. Thanks again!

Edited by urpedonmommy

I've read most of those same books with my 7yo girl and 5yo boy. Other books they've recently enjoyed:

Nurse Matilda (Nanny McPhee)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Burgess Bird Book

The Cricket in Times Square

Mary Poppins

Anything and everything by Roald Dahl

Chronicles of Narnia (we listen to this in the car)

7yo boy and a 5 yo girl and I like to read to both of them from slightly more challenging books during one of our read aloud times. We've read Charlotte's Web, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, (and sequels) Henry Huggins (and sequels), Beowulf, Pippi Longstocking (and sequel). I'm running into the "girl book/boy book" problem. Ds likes adventure, swashbuckling, warriors, and monsters, (loooved Beowulf), while dd is more girly and is uninterested in these (hated Beowulf).

Any suggestions for one book that has is all? Adventure and princesses, swashbuckling pirate queens? Help!

My kids LOVE the Little Britches series by Ralph Moody, as well as The Great Brain by J.D. Fitzgerald...these are more boy books, with boys coming of age, but the Little Britches series involves the sisters and mother A LOT, so the girls aren't left out. My son enjoyed Misty of Chincoteague and the Marguerite Henry books, which I also adored as a kid.

my daughter loves anything, really--she loves princesses and the like, but i have geared my reading to my son's interests a bit more.

My philosopy is "you can please some people some times, but you can't please all the people all the time." There has to be some give and take on the boy / girl thing. I'm going to be reading Little House to them soon, whether or not DS likes it.

ETA We also loved The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by the same author that wrote Desperaux, but it's escaping me at the moment.

Edited by Hedgehogs4