Menu

CWP

Mom-ninja.

I'm really starting to question whether I want to continue using CWP.

I guess I'm asking if the bar method is supposed to be a better method than other methods?

Can any problem be done with bar method? Are any other methods taught in CWP?

We did our math lesson in RS today and it taught how to set up a table to help solve word problems. My ds loved it and caught on pretty quickly. Much more so than using bar method.

When I was reading the samples on teaching problems solving on the Art of Problem Solving site, there was a list of suggested methods on how to go about solving word problems.

I don't think I want to stick with CWP if only bar method is used.

Bar graphs are the primary way they approach it, but not the only way. They also do the graph approach and other methods.

Singapore doesn't really teach strategies that I remember. Often in the examples the demonstrate strategies, but they don't necessarily teach them directly. I would think you could print them out from AOP and teach them, or just switch to AOP.

I personally love bar graphs. :D

Heather

Which lesson in RS (D?) were you on?

There is another SM series called i-Excel. It goes through many types of word problems and how to solve them. Guess and check, table, bar etc.

Iexcel doesn't have nearly as many problems as CWP though.

I like the bar models, but it can also be useful to use other methods as well.

You (OP) may choose to use other methods to solve the problems but continue to use the CWP books. Nothing requires you to use their method :001_smile:

We're working in 5cwp now. I can really see how bar diagrams are going to allow dc to easily see how to set up algebra problems. The thinking behind setting up the bar diagrams is amazing.

My dc have really learned to be able to see repeating units and areas of the problem that are equal.

I have used the method of drawing a simpler but similar problem when we get stumped.

I noticed that the IP practice book as more variety of method especially in the challenge section.

This might be a good thread to crosspost on the highschool forum for those who've been through SM and are now in algebra.

Since my DD is also working through the Hands-On Equations Verbal Problems Book, she often finds it easier to just write an algebraic equation than to use the Singapore Bar Model method. I don't really care how she solves the problem so long as she shows her work & gets the correct answer.

I don't think I want to stick with CWP if only bar method is used.

I didn't know any method was taught. I thought it was just questions. The books I've looked in (1,2,3) are just questions.

We go to the bar method if just thinking caps is failing. If the bar method is not working for us, I use a more "concrete" drawing or get out the pennies and dimes.

There is another SM series called i-Excel. It goes through many types of word problems and how to solve them. Guess and check, table, bar etc.

These FanMath books ( think they have changed names from i-Excel) have been a nice aside for getting my son to not melt down over word problems. It has helped us with methodical and logical thinking, and there is more than the bar method in them.

I agree with most of the replies. The CWP are just word problems which you can solve by any method you want to. The bar method just enables students to solve challenging problems without using algebra.

The Singapore math books do teach different problem solving techniques (called "heuristics" in the books).

BTW when you said ".. to set up a table to help solve word problems.." did you mean the guess-and-check method?

Yes, it would be a guess and check. For example a problem said something like Jane and Joe have $21 to spend on balloons. Red balloons cost $1 and blue balloons cost $3. They want twice as many red balloons as blue balloons. How many of each color can they get?

The you make a table with the following: # of red ballons, # of blue balloons, cost of red, cost of blue, and total. Then you start by picking a number of blue balloon and filling in the other parts based on the number you picked. Then you pick another number. You will start to see a pattern in how the numbers are related until you are able to hone in on the correct answer.

Thank you. The Singapore books do teach the guess-and-check method, among others.

BTW I think that the bar-model method is faster than the guess-and-check method. Here is a problem that shows the difference between the two. Of course, time would probably only matter during a test.

Q] When Mrs Lee was 40 years old, her son was twice her daughter's age. Mrs Lee will be twice her son's age when her daughter is 28 years old. How old will Mrs Lee be when her daughter is 20 years old?

I've attached the two solutions.

HTH

post-13035-13535083945526_thumb.jpg

post-13035-1353508394569_thumb.jpg

post-13035-13535083945526_thumb.jpg

post-13035-1353508394569_thumb.jpg