Menu

Do you backpack (camp) with your kids?

we've backpacked with our younger dds since they were 7 and 8. our first time, we went for three days into the hoover wilderness. this past summer, we were out for 6 days, 5 nights.

we love it. we took a stepped approach, so got them used to dry camping for one night each time we went car camping. that way, a lot of the things that children often find odd about backpacking they already considered normal. and every time we hike, everyone carries a pack with a water bottle, even if that is all that there is in it. they have done that since they were 3, so that seemed normal, too.

one of the things we do that is a real hit is to pack in two inflatable tubes for water play. they don't weigh much at all, but the fun they have with them is wonderful!

this is the first year they have carried anywhere close to their share of the weight. dd age 12 had a pack equal in weight to mine. youngest dd had a pack suited to her body size, which means she simply doesn't have room in her pack for as much stuff.

its so worth it! have fun!

ann

we've backpacked with our younger dds since they were 7 and 8. our first time, we went for three days into the hoover wilderness. this past summer, we were out for 6 days, 5 nights.

we love it. we took a stepped approach, so got them used to dry camping for one night each time we went car camping. that way, a lot of the things that children often find odd about backpacking they already considered normal. and every time we hike, everyone carries a pack with a water bottle, even if that is all that there is in it. they have done that since they were 3, so that seemed normal, too.

one of the things we do that is a real hit is to pack in two inflatable tubes for water play. they don't weigh much at all, but the fun they have with them is wonderful!

this is the first year they have carried anywhere close to their share of the weight. dd age 12 had a pack equal in weight to mine. youngest dd had a pack suited to her body size, which means she simply doesn't have room in her pack for as much stuff.

its so worth it! have fun!

ann

Sounds like fun! My 6yo and 7 yo want to try it, so at least they will start out motivated. :) Thanks for the tips!

We hike w/ the kids but not were we are carrying packs and such as well. Dh and I both have kids we are packing as well so it makes it hard to carry camping gear also. We do hope to continue hiking and camping though as we have great fun, however we just tailor it to smaller kids as my oldest is only 6. My 6 y.o. can carry a small pack and is pretty good about it. My 3.5 y.o. is very much not to the point of even carrying her own weight except for short hikes(ie 1 hr or less).

We hike w/ the kids but not were we are carrying packs and such as well. Dh and I both have kids we are packing as well so it makes it hard to carry camping gear also. We do hope to continue hiking and camping though as we have great fun, however we just tailor it to smaller kids as my oldest is only 6. My 6 y.o. can carry a small pack and is pretty good about it. My 3.5 y.o. is very much not to the point of even carrying her own weight except for short hikes(ie 1 hr or less).

Carrying kids and a pack would be difficult at best, I give you credit for getting those kids on the trails!

We dont do it with our kids because dh is a wuss :) and I dont relayl want to do it alone with them though I have considered it many times- but my parents did it with my brother and I our whole childhood from a very young age. We did 5 day hikes through the wilderness. Great memories!

Fortunately my kids have received their wildnerness education and experience through Scouts.

We have gone canoe camping in the Boundary Waters. If you're not familiar with that, it's backpacking through a large wilderness area with a canoe. The bulk of your time is spent canoeing, with stops to portage over a trail to the next body of water. When we have done this, we specifically chose a route with smaller portages and tried to canoe calmer waters where possible (like creeks), though there were decent-sized lakes to cross as well.

My kids have done really well with this type of trip. We hike a fair amount, and when we do so everyone carries a pack with water and snacks. We also camp frequently in national and state parks. My kids are used to the work of hiking and camping. On our big canoe trips, they did remarkably well with the portages and carrying heavy packs. The only piece that was overwhelming to the kids was the bugs.

I would advise starting with an easy trip and light packs. On our canoe trips, we traveled in one day. Once in, we set up a base camp and spent several days doing day trips accessible to our base camp. Our last day was a travel day to return to the outfitter. My dh has been up to the BWCA frequently over many years, so he was able to plan a good route to be able to do this. I would recommend the same to you--travel in a day or even just half a day, and then set up base camp for a night or two, then travel back. It's just right to get a feel for things.

One further thought--I felt that canoe backpacking was waaaaay easier than just backpacking. I personally really, really like having the canoe carrying the pack rather than my body, lol. It's an option you might consider.

We dont do it with our kids because dh is a wuss :) and I dont really want to do it alone with them though I have considered it many times- but my parents did it with my brother and I our whole childhood from a very young age. We did 5 day hikes through the wilderness. Great memories!

Fortunately my kids have received their wildnerness education and experience through Scouts.

I don't think I would want to do it alone either! Hurray for scouting! I hope your kids have great memories of their time in scouts. :)

We have gone canoe camping in the Boundary Waters. If you're not familiar with that, it's backpacking through a large wilderness area with a canoe. The bulk of your time is spent canoeing, with stops to portage over a trail to the next body of water. When we have done this, we specifically chose a route with smaller portages and tried to canoe calmer waters where possible (like creeks), though there were decent-sized lakes to cross as well.

My kids have done really well with this type of trip. We hike a fair amount, and when we do so everyone carries a pack with water and snacks. We also camp frequently in national and state parks. My kids are used to the work of hiking and camping. On our big canoe trips, they did remarkably well with the portages and carrying heavy packs. The only piece that was overwhelming to the kids was the bugs.

I would advise starting with an easy trip and light packs. On our canoe trips, we traveled in one day. Once in, we set up a base camp and spent several days doing day trips accessible to our base camp. Our last day was a travel day to return to the outfitter. My dh has been up to the BWCA frequently over many years, so he was able to plan a good route to be able to do this. I would recommend the same to you--travel in a day or even just half a day, and then set up base camp for a night or two, then travel back. It's just right to get a feel for things.

One further thought--I felt that canoe backpacking was waaaaay easier than just backpacking. I personally really, really like having the canoe carrying the pack rather than my body, lol. It's an option you might consider.

:w00t: I have never heard of canoe backpacking or the BWCA, and it sounds AMAZING! Thank you for the suggestion, my kids will probably love it!

LOL! No. When Indy first started Cub Scouts 2.5 years ago (he was 6), we went to the Scout Store to buy his uniform and the lady behind the counter asked him if he and mom were going to go camping. He looked at her and said (perfectly serious) "My mom doesn't sleep outside." The lady and I both cracked up.

I love to hear stories from people who camp, but I'm just not an outdoor kind of girl. I'll garden and even go for a walk in the woods every now and then (I even have high heeled Timberlands!), but that's as close as I get to camping.

LOL! No. When Indy first started Cub Scouts 2.5 years ago (he was 6), we went to the Scout Store to buy his uniform and the lady behind the counter asked him if he and mom were going to go camping. He looked at her and said (perfectly serious) "My mom doesn't sleep outside." The lady and I both cracked up.

I love to hear stories from people who camp, but I'm just not an outdoor kind of girl. I'll garden and even go for a walk in the woods every now and then (I even have high heeled Timberlands!), but that's as close as I get to camping.

:lol: That reminds me of something funny. My friend was sitting with me at a park and some kids ran up to her and asked her what kind of bug they had, she looked at them and said "I'm sorry, I'm not from the outside... I'm from the mall" :D

We started backpacking last year as a family. We have tent camped for the past 15 years, first w/out dc and now with them.

We also took a group of scouts down to Virginia this past summer for a 4 day trip.

I love it, and can't wait to go next summer. It will be just our family next trip. We are planning on going for a week.

Over the past year we have upgraded our equipement and downsized the load.

We do have a backpack tent, but my dh and ds use hammocks.

We also dehydrate our food, have a filter pump for water and a small stove.

We suscribe to Backpacking magazine, which keeps us excited about the next time out.

This is an interesting thread, and I look forward to learning what other have done.

:w00t: I have never heard of canoe backpacking or the BWCA, and it sounds AMAZING! Thank you for the suggestion, my kids will probably love it!

If you do decide to give this a try, get in touch with me and I can give you some more specific tips and so forth.

Also, we really like an outfitter called Tuscarora, though we have used others as well. You would find them quite helpful in answering any questions as well.

If you do decide to give this a try, get in touch with me and I can give you some more specific tips and so forth.

Also, we really like an outfitter called Tuscarora, though we have used others as well. You would find them quite helpful in answering any questions as well.

Thank you, I definitely will let you know if we decide to plan a trip. How exciting!